Sierra Sl8092 modem driver and MINICOM are not present, how to do?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sierra Sl8092 modem driver and MINICOM are not present, how to do?

enaud
Contributor III

Hi all,

Yesterday I got the i.MX53 board and would like to attach a board with the Sierra chip AirPrime 8092 which is an HSPA + modem. 

On my PC with ubuntu 11.10 driver is already present but this board with default Linux not recognize it properly. How can I do? I must add driver? and where is this driver? How compile driver for this board.

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
74 Replies

enaud
Contributor III

Hi, thanks for this site.

I use VMWare on Windows Xp. 

I have installed VMware Player and now i'm downloading VM_UBUNTU_BUNDLE.zip

is right?

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi enaud,

Take a look at this first http://www.imxdev.org/wiki/index.php?title=I.MX53_QSB_Board_Get_Started If you are new!

You have to choose which machine you want to use first?

Ubuntu, or (Ubuntu on VMWare) Windows machine.

All that you need Step-by-Step is provided in the User's Guide and/or the above site.

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

enaud
Contributor III

wait...now i'm in office and i have Windows.

I have installed VMplayer... ok

and now? i not undstand well that i have to do..

now i have VMware Player on my windows xp.. now what i must do?

say me step by step please because is my first time with an embedded Linux board :)

PS: I have only SD card with ubuntu. where i can view BSP? where i download kernel?

thanks

thanks

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Hi enaud,

No need to download VM Player.

Just download the kernel as told by Donald R Poole.

Follow them.

You may have to do Ctrl+h in the existing linux-source code directory you have already got.

find .config file and place in it the downlaoded and extracted new kernel folder.

What is the version of the BSP you are using?

Regards :: Krishna Pavan

0 Kudos

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

You should take a look to this post:

http://imxcommunity.org/group/imx53quickstartboard/forum/topics/usbtoserial-and-usbtomodem?commentId...

Comment by Matt Clemens, which explains how to load modules. Im gonna try this a little later.

0 Kudos

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

VMWare player runs on linux too. So you may be able to install it and then run the VM Image from there.

These are the two choices and actually im downloading again the VM image since building under my linux distro sent me some errors after "building successfully"

Regards,

0 Kudos

enaud
Contributor III

ok then if you say that VM is best i use this.

so, I must have a pc with windows?

i start with download http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab#

0 Kudos

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

You have to download the files:

L2.6.35_11_09_ER_SOURCE

Extract them in any directory.

Then you have to follow the "ltib host setup" document, so that you can download the required packages by ltib. After you follow these steps, then the document "i.MX53_START_Linux_BSP_UserGuide" is the one you have to follow to configure ltib and create the kernel.

When you start ltib, just make sure to select [*] Configure Kernel option, so that you can select the driver you require.

I have to mention that it is high recommendable to use the "ready to use" image of VM Ware, since it has all requirements.

Regards,

0 Kudos

enaud
Contributor III

Thanks Mario,

i have a pc with ubuntu 11.10 and sierra sl8092 work correclty.

Now what i must to do?

"you can download the required files" Which? and from where?

thanks

0 Kudos

MarioMedinaArza
Contributor I

You have a couple of choices.

If you have a linux system (ubuntu) you can download the required files and compile the kernel on your own on that system, downloading the source files that are on freescale. Then upload the kernel image to the SD card.

Another option. If you don't have Linux in a PC you can download an image with everything you require and run it under windows. You need to have VM player. Go and download:

MX53_QSB_UBUNTU_VM

Open it with VMWare Player and follow the documents that are in the i.MX53_START_Linux_BSP_UserGuide so that you can configure your new kernel with the drivers required.

Regards!

0 Kudos

enaud
Contributor III

i not undstand well because i'm a newbie..

You can follow me step by step for install this driver?

0- buckup SD card

1- i went to this site: http://opensource.freescale.com/git and what i must download?

or a)imx/chromium.git

or  b)imx/chromiumos.git

or     c) imx/linux-2.6-imx.git

or     d) imx/uboot-imx.git 

2)..

thanks for your help..

0 Kudos

DonaldR_PooleJr
Contributor I

Hello Enaud,

It looks like you need to compile the kernel drivers for your device.  But, before you make any changes to your Freescale image, I would suggest making an image of the current to system so you will have a backup to revert to in the event that you misconfigure something.  I'm not sure with kernel version freescale is shipping with their i.MX53QSB these days, but the kernel version my board came with was 2.6.35.3.  I went to this site (http://opensource.freescale.com/git) to download the appropriate kernel, downloaded and extracted it to a suitable location on my Ubuntu 11.10 PC.  Then, I copied the .config file from the freescale ubuntu image into the directory where I extracted the kernel and executed this command:

• make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<name_of_cross_compile_toolchain> menuconfig

Where, <name_of_cross_compile_toolchain> is the toolchain that you have installed to compile code for ARM targets.  This command will present you with an curses-based kernel configuration menu that utilized the .config file you copied over earlier to initialize a lot of the configuration options.  Your, driver should be located in:

• Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> USB Network Adaptors

or

• Device Drivers -> USB Support -> USB Serial Converter Support

For simplicity, you should select them both and enable them as modules.  Then exit out of the kernel menu configuration and compile the kernel with the the following commands:

• make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<name_of_cross_compile_toolchain> uImage
  • make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=<name_of_cross_compile_toolchain> modules

When this completes (hopefully without errors), the new kernel drivers should exist for the USB Serial Converter adapter:

• drivers/usb/usbserial.ko
  • drivers/usb/serial/sierra.ko

and for the USB Network Adaptor:

• drivers/net/usb/sierra_net.ko
  • drivers/usb/gadget/g_ether.ko
  • drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko
  • drivers/usb/gadget/g_serial.ko

You should now be able to copy this modules over to the Freescale image and execute the follow command on the Freescale board to configure the modules for the kernel:

• sudo depmod

Hopefully this will help you get going.

0 Kudos