cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1170 EVK FSL ROM API

mjosborne1
Contributor III

Hi there,

just looking at the RT1170 EVK FSL ROM API CM7 Example... MCUXpresso 11.4, SDK 2.10

Built and debugged the project fine; it was able to successfully identify and erase/program the NOR Flash.

I'm creating a bootloader and am looking at this as the starting point; I was hoping to execute out of ITCM, to ensure that there are no issues accessing NOR (XIP) while it is being programmed.

I made a couple minor changes to the project: in the linker options I specified "Plain load image" with SRAM_ITC_cm7; I removed OCRAM1 region from memory configuration since it overlaps with the ROM memory.

After this change, I can build and debug the project, and code is placed in ITCM correctly; however, the ROM_FLEXSPI_NorFlash_x() functions now fail with kStatus_InvalidArgument.

Unfortunately I can't step through the ROM code to figure out what's wrong...

Thought that it might be something to do with the FLEXSPI clock (serial_nor_config_option_t max_freq), but was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head?

My assumption is that since the code was loaded from NOR to SRAM by ROM the FLEXSPI is set up correctly, but maybe detecting that the load/exec addresses aren't the same is bypassing this?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

0 Kudos
7 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mjosborne1 

Thanks for your information, I know why you meet issues now.

As your used item: plain load image, it is not for RT, it is for the LPC series.

Please check the IDE install path document:

C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_11.4.0_6157_prc1\MCUXpresso_IDE_User_Guide.pdf

page 189, chpater 17.8.4 Plain Load Image.

You will find it is desiged for the LPC540XX series, not for RT.

RT 1170 and LPC are totally different.

Now, if you want to run the code in the ITCM, please follow me, it will be success, and I have tested it on my side.

kerryzhou_0-1630638042513.png

kerryzhou_1-1630638069734.png

kerryzhou_2-1630638090540.png

kerryzhou_3-1630638102384.png

kerryzhou_4-1630638123925.png

Now, if you want to run this ITCM code and boot from flash, you just need to generate the .s19 file, then use the MCUbootUtility tool to download to the external flash.

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/archive/refs/tags/v3.3.1.zip
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

Please note, RT series is the cross-over MCU, so the boot is different.

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

mjosborne1
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou, thanks for the info.

I was able to get the example running from ITCM when using the "Link application to RAM" option instead of the "Plain load image" option.

I do have the part set correctly for the i.mx rt1170 dev (MIMXRT1176xxxxx in the MCUXpresso MCU Settings), and the "Plain load image" option is always available for me even though I'm not using an LPCx.

So I just need to generate the boot headers for the RAM image at this point; I downloaded the MCU Boot Utility you linked and followed along with the user manual.

I set XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE = 0, even though "Link application to RAM" is specified and there is no boot header in the image.

I deselected "Manage linker script" and added the following vector table offset as suggested:

mjosborne1_4-1631050809203.png

I configured the target as follows:

mjosborne1_0-1631049433759.png

Boot Device Configuration:

mjosborne1_1-1631049505916.png

DCD Configuration (none, just using internal SRAM):

mjosborne1_2-1631049572038.png

I also set the IVT Entry Type:

mjosborne1_3-1631049741899.png

I connected to the EVK and selected the MCUXpresso output file; when I select "Generate Unsigned Bootable Image" I get the following error:

mjosborne1_5-1631051076335.png

I tried to change the Tools -> IVT Entry Type to be "Reset Handler" and "Vector Table" but the result is the same.

In all cases I tried the resulting srec does not have any boot headers added. 

Can you please try to reproduce this problem or point me to a procedure for this part/IDE/project?

I'm now trying to just add the initial XIP project boot headers manually to the RAM linked image; changing the entry point and boot data, but haven't had any luck yet... 

Just to confirm:

• IVT "entry" value is the ResetHandler address in ITCM (0x0000_24E9)
  • Boot data "start" value is the address of the start of ITCM (0x0000_0000)
  • Boot data "length" value is the length of ITCM (0x0004_0000)
  • RAM application is linked in ITCM at offset 0x0000_2000
    • I chose 0x2000 instead of 0x3000 as the offset.
      • Why is this offset needed?
        • My guess is that ROM copies the entire image from NOR into ITCM, including the boot headers, and the execute address would be wrong without it?
        • Is there a way to eliminate this offset using the IVT/boot params (maybe IVT "self")?

I've attached this binary image; it looks ok to me but won't boot.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mjosborne1 

If you want to run the code in the internal RAM, you don't need to generate the FCB, as the tool blhost in MCUbootUtility will help you to burn the FCB to the flash. Your provided RAM image don't need the FCB directly, FCB is used to configure the flexSPI interface to connect the external flash.

So, when you generate the code, you can use:

set XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE = 0,  "Link application to RAM" is specified and there is no boot header in the image. This is correct.

Then when you want to use the MCUBootUtility tool to download the code, you can use your RAM none FCB code directly, I suggest you use the .s19, as that always contains the address information.

You can try none FCB RAM app attach to the MCUBootUtility tool download it again, that code will download to the external flash, and add the FCB automatically, then copy to the internal RAM to run it.

If you still have issues, just kindly let me know.

Don't  check "Plain load image" option.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

mjosborne1
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand that the RAM image built when specifying "Link Application to RAM" does not include any boot headers (FCB, IVT, Boot data) or the DCD; and that FCB is used to configure the FlexSPI interface.

I am still not able to get this to work using the MCU Boot Utility; I generated an S19 (I was using the .axf when using the "Image Generation Sequence" tab) and I still get the same error.  I also tried the "Boot Device Memory" tab with the S19, and this also didn't work.

Were you able to use MCU Boot Utility to add headers and Flash the image that was linked to run from ITCM?

Can you please provide steps to do this?

Can you also please confirm the behaviour of the ROM bootloader with respect to the offset (i.e. the RAM app needs to be linked so that the execute address matches the load address offset in NOR)?

Thank you,

Matt

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mjosborne1 ,

Please try the MCUbootUtility attached ITCM code, it is in this folder:

NXP-MCUBootUtility-3.3.1\apps\NXP_MIMXRT1170-EVK_Rev.A\cm7led_blinky_0x0000a000.srec

You can download this ITCM code to the flash, and test your board, whether the LED is blinking or not? If it is blinking, seems your side image still have issues.

Now, do you want to use the fsl rom code and run it in the internal RAM, and boot from external flash, right?

SDK_2_10_0_MIMXRT1170-EVK\boards\evkmimxrt1170\driver_examples\fsl_romapi\cm7

Please help to test cm7led_blinky_0x0000a000.srec on your side at first, if that works on your side, just the fsl_romap can't work please tell me, I will help to test it.

Please also note, you need to modify the memory offset to at least 0x2000.

kerryzhou_0-1631501556740.png

Then try it again, if still have issues, let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

mjosborne1
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou, thanks for the reply.

Yes, you should be able to reproduce using the EVK & SDK demo with just the following change:

mjosborne1_0-1630594176762.png

mjosborne1_1-1630594564620.png

When using this configuration, ROM_FLEXSPI_NorFlash_GetConfig() fails:

mjosborne1_2-1630594685607.png

Thanks for checking this out!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mjosborne1 

The original SDK ROM API mainly use the flash and DTCM.

kerryzhou_0-1630573524641.png

What's your ROM_FLEXSPI_NorFlash_x is, do you mean x is related read, erase, etc?

In fact, you also can use the OCRAM, just don't use the ROM related OCRAM.

kerryzhou_1-1630573644183.png

About your modified code, do you still use the flexspi_romapi.c, just modify the linker?

Please tell me the detail reproduction steps, then I can help you to check it.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos