cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about hotplugging for PCI-e interface

limlee
Contributor I

Hi, All.

I am using a SABRE-AI board(CPU: i.MX6Q, Kernel: Linux imx6qsabrequto 3.14.28) for testing WiFi features.
For the test, a WiFi interface card is connected on a PCI-e slot of the board.
The interface card should be removed and re-inserted on the slot for another tests after the end of one single test.
I conducted the procedure for the above operation as below:

(1) # lscpi
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00:00.0 PCI bridge: Device 16c3:abcd (rev 01)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros Device 003e (rev 32)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) # echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove
     # lspci

(3) The interface card for WiFi is removed and re-inserted on the PCI-e slot
     # lspci

(4) # echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
pcieport 0000:00:00.0: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 00-00]), reconfiguring
pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x01000000-0x011fffff 64bit]

(5) # lspci
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros Device 003e (rev 32)

It seemed that PCI-e interface was normally updated, but our linux system stopped suddenly when uploading module(insmod) related with WiFi.
I think that something was wrong on (4) of the above procedure.
The following log was output as normal when I tried to rescan the interfaces without removing and re-inserting on the slot.

(4) # echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x01000000-0x011fffff 64bit]

After that, Uploading module completed successfully.

My Question is:
(1) Does SABRE-AI board using i.MX6Q CPU support hotplugging for PCI-e interface?
(2) What is the method for resolving the above issue if the board supports hotplugging for PCI-e interface?

Thank you.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Donlim

please refer to attached Release Notes Table 13. Known issues

pastedImage_1.jpg

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

limlee
Contributor I

Thanks for your response.

I understood that Hot Plug for PCI-e does not supported in i.MX 6Q SABRE-AI board.

Please let me know whether NXP has a workaround plan about Hot Plug or not.

To reboot the board is the best solution for re-plug PCI-e?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

there are no known plans, one can check some solutions on:

https://community.freescale.com/thread/305355

~igor

0 Kudos