cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem recreating the default Linux image for the iMX28EVK with LCD

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day All,

Firstly, I am a newb at this so please bear with me...

I have a imx28EVK with LCD that was shipped with CE and I wanted to create the factory Linux bootable SD card.  I followed the docs and was able to install my development environment (Ubuntu) as well as install Ltib, etc.  I ran Ltib and it ran fine and created the appropriate boot streams which I coped to my SD card the via mk_imx28_sd script.  When I boot my EVK from the SD card I get serial data which appears valid and I see the Linux Penguin on the LCD (so far so good).  Once the serial stream stops at the Freescale Login prompt (what is the password anyway?), I just see the Linux Penguin on the LCD... no linux GUI, as was shown on the Freescale YouTube videos.  Given that I appear to have created a bootable SD, etc I seem to have mis-configured  Ltib?  Can someone direct me as to what I did wrong and/or what I missed?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Yuri,

I gone through the Gnome document you mentioned and all of the packages were installed and so this appears to not be the issue for the failed Gnome Configuration build.... alas...  It was suggested that I submit a support ticket as well. 

Also, am I the only person (or newb) that has had an issue with building the factory Linux image(s)?  If so, then I really feel like a bonehead...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sam, good day !

Sorry, I am a Freescale support engineer and do not work in fields :-(   

Sam Saprunoff said:

Good day James and Yuri,

Have either of you used Ltib and/or Freescale's ix28 BSP for any production devices?  If not, then which BSP are you using?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day James and Yuri,

Have either of you used Ltib and/or Freescale's ix28 BSP for any production devices?  If not, then which BSP are you using?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Yuri,

Indeed it does... over 1.5 hours on a VM running Win7 Pro with am i7!  I did not have a chance to go over the docs, but will do so in the next day or so to see if I missed something for the Gnome configuration... and thus may explain why my Ltib build failed when I selected it.

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

gnome compilation may require much time.

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Yuri,

Just a quick update... I re-ran Ltib with the Gnome configuration and this time I just left it run... which took about 1.5 hours and where I thought it hung, it was not it was just compiling for a very long time.  If I ran ltib as root, a message came up stating that I should nor run ltib as root and so I cancelled this.  I then re-ran ltib as myself and the result was that I had the following errors upon completion...

RPM build Errors:

Bad exit status from /home/user/imx28/ltib/tmp/rpm-tmp.29221 (%build)

Build time for nautilus: 158 seconds

Failed building nautilus

f_buildrpms() returned an error, exiting

traceback:

main:560

These packages failed to build:

nautilus

Build Failed

Exiting on error or interrupt

I did not read the docs you mentioned, as I just wanted to start this compile and see the result...  I will read the docs today and see if I needed to do something prior to re-running ltib...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good day Yuri,

Thanks for the additional info.  I will give it a try today and will report back.  Secondly, I will go over the documents you mentioned in case I missed something.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

Yuri Muhin said:

As Linux login please use "root", no password.

As for GUI it may be recommended FSL gnome configuration.
Also please look at "GNOME_Mobile_Release_Notes.pdf"
in documentation package, in particular regarding "Preparation"
and "Install host development packages".

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Linux login please use "root", no password.

As for GUI it may be recommended FSL gnome configuration.
Also please look at "GNOME_Mobile_Release_Notes.pdf"
in documentation package, in particular regarding "Preparation"
and "Install host development packages".

Sam Saprunoff said:

Yuri Muhin said:

Please use FSL gnome  configuration.

Good eveinng Yuri,

I tried this... sadly Ltib hung during its compile... and it took out my virtual machine (Vmware with Ubuntu) too...  My only way to recover was to force VMware to "power off" or "Restart"...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Yuri Muhin said:

Good eveinng Yuri,

I tried this... sadly Ltib hung during its compile... and it took out my virtual machine (Vmware with Ubuntu) too...  My only way to recover was to force VMware to "power off" or "Restart"...

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sam Saprunoff said:

Good evening James,

I tried what you said, but in my Ltib I did not have the X configuration choice... Just the following in the attached image.  Only the first two would I get a successful ltib compilation...the others, if selected, would cause ltib to hang both its activity as well as my virtual machine...  I also tried the "-f" switch and it too hung after a while... alas... being a a newb with so many things that can go sideways makes it a real challenge to solve problems like these!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

Good evening James,

I tried what you said, but in my Ltib I did not have the X configuration choice... Just the following in the attached image.  Only the first two would I get a successful ltib compilation...the others, if selected, would cause ltib to hang both its activity as well as my virtual machine...  I also tried the "-f" switch and it too hung after a while... alas... being a a newb with so many things that can go sideways makes it a real challenge to solve problems like these!

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

samsaprunoff
Contributor V

James Robinson said:

Hello,

Congrats on getting the build environment up and running. 

What I think happened is that during the initial configure (second set of menus) you took the defaults. The configuration by default is minimal build. This will give you what you are seeing. To get the "X" windows you need to run:

"./ltib -m selectype" and select the X configuration instead of the min build. 

The other thing I have found with LTIB is that sometimes you need to select the "-f" option to force a rebuild of the rpm packages. The reason I believe is that when you add more packages to your system. The packages that we previously built will not include all the build options.

Hope it help, from one newb to another......

-James.

Good day James,

Thank you so much for the info and the prompt response!  Most appreciated!  I will give it a try later today and I will report back.

Cheers,

Sam

0 Kudos

JamesRobinson
Contributor II

Hello,

Congrats on getting the build environment up and running. 

What I think happened is that during the initial configure (second set of menus) you took the defaults. The configuration by default is minimal build. This will give you what you are seeing. To get the "X" windows you need to run:

"./ltib -m selectype" and select the X configuration instead of the min build. 

The other thing I have found with LTIB is that sometimes you need to select the "-f" option to force a rebuild of the rpm packages. The reason I believe is that when you add more packages to your system. The packages that we previously built will not include all the build options.

Hope it help, from one newb to another......

-James.

0 Kudos