Placing whole system (u-boot, kernel, rootfs) in SPI NOR flash with Yocto

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing whole system (u-boot, kernel, rootfs) in SPI NOR flash with Yocto

neilegger
Contributor I

I'm working on a custom board design based somewhat on the mx6qsabresd board.  This board has a 512Mb Micron SPI NOR flash chip on it that we'd like to put everything on including a core-image-minimal rootfs that was built using Yocto Morty.  Ideally, the boot process would extract a compressed version of the rootfs into a ramdisk and run from there.  We plan to use MFGtool to flash the boot image.  Can someone point me to any resources for doing this that might be helpful?

Thanks,

Neil

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Neil,

Could you tell me which version BSP are you using? You want to use the mfgtool download, you can read and modify the ucl2.xml file under mfgtool. But here 512Mb Micron SPI NOR flash maybe not big enough to download all the images.
Have a great day,
Rita

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

neilegger
Contributor I

Rita,

I'm using fsl-community-bsp 2.2 (Morty).  My rootfs is 46MB in size so I believe it will fit in the 64MB I have.  u-boot, zImage, and dtb files add about 8MB to that number for a total of 54MB excluding any memory alignment overhead.

There are two main things I'm trying to figure out:

1. How can I get mfgtool to flash the rootfs into SPI NOR flash.

2. How can I configure u-boot to use it.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Kudos