cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PF0100 Programming

inderjitbains
Contributor I

Questions for KITPFGUI (Revision 4.1), Buck Supplies:

1.  Where is the setting to change SW1AB and SW1C to be independant?  They are locked together, and SW1C can't be edited.  Clicking on the "+" between the setup pages does nothing.

2.  Do the i.MX6 Dual Lite / Quad CPUs actually scale the voltage, or just the frequency, i.e. is it just 1.375V for Run Mode, and 0.9V for standby?

3.  If voltage scaling is used, is 12.5mV/us the correct setting?

4.  Is there any way to set a maximum voltage for a supply, so that the board won't get fried through a bad I2C setting?  For example, SW1AB can be as high as 1.8V, which is well above the maximum 1.5V for VDDARM_IN.

5.  What does the Current Limit = 2.0x do?  Clicking on the check box changes it to 1.5x.

Labels (6)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

inderjitbains
Contributor I

Additional questions:

6.  Are the only settings on the OTP Configuration tab programmable?  Are NMode, Vstby, SMode, Voff, Phase, Pseg, OMODE Enabled, Current Limit not programmable?

7.  On the OTP Configuration tab, does the POWER GOOD setting toggle the RESETBMCU mode, default vs fault (section 5.3.2.1 of the PF0100 datasheet), or enable/disable the RESETBMCU output?

8.  On the OTP Configuration tab, the power supplies report their sequences as n * 1us, regardless of the setting of SEQUENCER.  Is this a bug in the GUI?

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

[A6] Correct, only setting on the OTP configuration tab are OTP programmable. You can confirm this by checking the Table 137 “Extended Page 1” (OTP programming/configuration page) on the datasheet.

[A7] Depending on the selected configuration, Power Good sets the configuration of the RESETBMCU pin as the “Power up OK” indicator or as a power fault indicator as described in Table 11 of the User Guide: http://www.nxp.com/files/analog/doc/user_guide/KTPFSWUG4.pdf

[A8] SEQUENCER sets the time between regulators turn-on during the power up, while the power supplies “sequence” is the representation of the turn-on position for each regulator during the startup sequence.

It is an error of the GUI, the “usec” legend of the “sequence” on the Power Supplies configuration windows should be removed.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos

inderjitbains
Contributor I

Yet another question:

9.  When SW1AB and SW1C are set to 1.375V and "Done" is clicked, the CONFIGURATION windows shows 1.35V.  Clicking on the regulator shows that the voltage is 1.35V instead of 1.375V.  Setting the voltages to 1.4V results in a voltage of 1.375V on the CONFIGURATION window and when the regulator is clicked.  Is this a GUI issue?  Which voltage will be programmed?

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

[A9] Yes, this seems like an issue with the GUI. To be sure of which voltage will be programmed, you can read the register on the “Direct I2C Communication” part of the GUI. For example, to check which voltage is set when you enter 1.375V on the SW1AB OTP Register Setting window and then click “Done” (OTP Configuration window show 1.35V), then go to read register 0xA0 of Page P1, and you would read 0x2A, which means that the voltage that would be programmed is 1.35V.

I will let the GUI designers know about these issues to try to fix them for the next revision of the GUI.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Inderjit Bains,

You did not mentioned, but I’m assuming that you are using the KITPFPGMEVME programmer with the KITPF0100SKTEVBE socket board, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Now, answering to your questions:

[A1] By default, SW1 configuration is A/B/C Single phase, this is why you cannot edit value on SW1C independently from the SW1A/B, to change this using the GUI rev.4.1 you need to go to the “OTP Configuration” tab and click on the “Enter TBB Mode” button. A window will appear, just click “Ok” button on it.

Then click on “SW1” image and a pop-up window will appear, the 3rd line on this wiondow show the current selected configuration, you can change it using the 4th line, in order to have SW1C independent from SW1A/B, you would need to choose “A/B Single – C Independent” or “A/B Dual – C Independent” configuration.

After your selection, click on “Done”, click on “Return to Run Mode” and go back to the “Buck Supplies” tab to change your SW1C settings.

[A2] If the PMIC is being used, i.Mx6 does not scale the voltage, just the frequency, while the PMIC is scaling the voltage.

[A3] In the MMPF0100, the rate of the output voltage change is controlled by the Dynamic Voltage Scaling (DVS). For the SW1A/B/C, the DVS can be selected between:

25 mV step each 2.0 us

25 mV step each 4.0 us

25 mV step each 8.0 us

25 mV step each 12.0 us

As can be seen in Table 32 “DS Speed Selection for SW1A/B/C” of the datasheet.

[A4] No, there is no way to set a maximum voltage for a supply, care must be taken when setting the regulators voltages.

[A5] Each buck regulator has a programmable current limit. In an overcurrent condition, the current is limited cycle-by-cycle. If the current limit condition persists for more than 8.0 ms, a fault interrupt is generated.

In the GUI 4.1, the current limit checkbox option means:

• Unchecked (2.0x) = High level current limit

• Checked (1.5x) = Low level current limit

For example, for the case of SW1C in Independent mode, if the High level current limit is set (unchecked box/2.0x), the current limit is typ. 4.0A, but if the Low level current limit is set (checked box/1.5x), the current limit is typ. 3.0A.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

inderjitbains
Contributor I

Yes, I am using the KITPFPGMEVME programmer with the KITPF0100SKTEVBE socket board.  Follow-ups:

2.  Doesn't the CPU send the required voltage via I2C to the PMIC for the frequency it's running at?  If not, how does the PMIC determine the voltage on its own?

3.  What is the recommended setting for i.MX6?

0 Kudos

inderjitbains
Contributor I

For #3:  Chapter 4 of the HW Development Guide does not have any recommendations for the rate of the output voltage change is controlled by the Dynamic Voltage Scaling (DVS).  This is not a power-on sequence issue:  when the voltage is scaled, the rate of change must be set.  Will the highest setting of 12.5mV/us (25mV / 2us) work?

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

[A2] Yes, CPU send the sign al to the PMIC via I2C with the required voltage for the frequency it is running at.

[A3] The default PF0100 power-up sequence is programmed to fit the requirements of the i.MX 6 series families of processors. However, the PF0100 can be adjusted to meet the specific requirements for system applications by using the one time programmable (OTP) feature. You can find the complete i.Mx6 requirements for power management in Chapter 4 of the i.Mx6 Hardware Development Guide: http://www.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/IMX6DQ6SDLHDG.pdf

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, 12.5mV/us will work, in fact any of the DVS setting would work since, as can be seen in the image below, the iMx6 is compatible with 25mV voltage steps and all the DVS settings are derivate from this voltage.

pastedImage_0.png

Also, if needed, you can change the DVS setting during normal operation, OTP sets the initial voltage (for boot up or normal operation) and that can be changed over I2C (DVS).

Have a great day,
Jose

0 Kudos