cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX6Q-SDB - installing Linux (Win user)

oskar
Contributor II

Hello

I'm using the MX6Q-SDB board and I want to put the Linux on the SD card (I'm Windows user).

I found the i.MX6Q_SDB_SD_Demo_Image - easy to put on the card, it started but looks like it's Android - so not the thing which I want to use.

I didn't found similar image (or img file to copy by other app) with Linux.

So I downloaded the MfgTool2 but I'm not sure what content should be prepared to be copied. 1st run - cfg's not changed - no errors during operation but only splashscreen with Freescale logo was visible (_putty.log attached), last log:

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3     2     1     0

Unknown command 'booti' - try 'help'

MX6Q SABRESD U-Boot >

The content of Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\ looks a little bit similar to the content of L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_images_MX6Q + 12_09_01_oneiric rfs. I added new files - content of the L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_images_MX6Q and 12_09_01_oneiric.tgz (also I replaced the name in ucl2.xml). Result:

"Push" error, file="d:\images\Mfgtools-Rel-L3.0.35_1.0.1_MX6Q_UPDATER.tar\Mfgtools-Rel-L3.0.35_1.0.1_MX6Q_UPDATER\Mfgtools-Rel-L3.0.35_1.0.1_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\12_09_01_oneiric.tgz"

Putting unpacked version (to .tar) doesn't help - the same error reported by app, in traces:

tar: invalid magic

tar: short read

I see few problems here:

1. Booting - should it work after putting image or maybe I destroyed sth and it will be needed to set boot options again?

2. I see a lot of distributions of Ubuntu - for OMAP, MX5 etc. - but I didn't see image (to install in similar way) for the board which I'm using. Does it exist like Android version?

3. Copying the system - I'm not sure that my "method" is correct - do I need to add other files?

Original Attachment has been moved to: _putty.log.zip

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

hemalgandhi
Contributor III

To boot the Linux from SD card, you can follow these steps

1. 1. Extract the demo images L3.0.35_12.09.01_GA_images_MX6Q.
  2. 2. Copy the file rootfs.tar.bz2,uImage from above folder and put this file in to Mfgtools-Rel-3.0.0_20121119_GA_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files\.
  3. 3. Make sure u-boot-mx6q-sabresd.bin file exists in above MFG tool folder.
  4. 4. Modify the cfg.ini located at Mfgtools-Rel-3.0.0_20121119_GA_MX6Q_UPDATER folder. Change the following section in cfg.ini , if you want to prepare SD card for Linux.(i.MX6Q-SABRE-SDB)

[LIST]

name = Sabre-SD

1. 5. Now open the file ucl2.xml (located at Mfgtools-Rel-3.0.0_20121119_GA_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware)  and search for the Sabre-SD and make sure that mmcblk1 is chosen as media if you are trying to boot from SD card(SD slot - 3).
  2. 6. Connect Hyper terminal.
  3. 7. Now prepare the card using MFG tool and refer the i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf for detailed steps. ( It can be found from L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_docs .tar)
  4. 8. Now power on the board and press any key.  Hyper terminal enters in  Uboot prompt.
  5. 9. Enter the following command in Uboot prompt If you have connected HDMI display.
  • setenv loadaddr 0x10800000
  • setenv bootargs_base 'setenv bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200'
  • setenv bootargs_mmc 'setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rootwait rw video=mxcfb1:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB666 video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'
  • setenv bootcmd_mmc 'run bootargs_base bootargs_mmc;mmc dev 2;mmc read ${loadaddr} 0x800 0x2000;bootm'
  • saveenv
  • run bootcmd

System should boot from SD with Linux as OS.

Refer section 6, 7 and 9 of the document  i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User_Guide.pdf for more help.

You can download the Linux user guide for IMX6Dual/Quad SABRE_SD board from below link

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RDIMX6SABREBRD&fpsp=1&tab=Documentati...

Thanks,

Hemal

0 Kudos

oskar
Contributor II

I unpacked the rfs by using virtual Ubuntu and packed again to rootfs.tar.bz2. Mgftool needed much more time to copy the data but I didn't get errors.

Now something is starting.

Unfortunately there's a problem with the screen(s) - it's black during startup, after some time I can see blinking cursor (few seconds) then monitor is turning off. I'm using standard monitor (1680x1050, HDMI to DVI) and additional screen (1024x768) connected to LVDS1.

I checked few combinations for env during boot with

video=mxcfb0:dev=ldb,LDB-XGA,if=RGB565

video=mxcfb1:dev=hdmi,1680x1050M@60,if=RGB24

and no changes. If I set different resolution for HDMI (like 1024x178), the monitor is turning off at the beginning.

I also got errors:

mxc_sdc_fb mxc_sdc_fb.1: Unable to allocate framebuffer memory

mxc_v4l2_output mxc_v4l2_output.0: ERR: fb_set_var.

mxc_sdc_fb mxc_sdc_fb.0: Unable to allocate framebuffer memory

mxc_v4l2_output mxc_v4l2_output.0: ERR: fb_set_var.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

For the linux demo image, you can download it from the web page:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RDIMX6SABREBRD&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tool...

You can download the document bundle from the "documentation" page.

The file is IMX6_120901_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE. that include user guide and release note.

Please read the BSP User Guide for how to program the images.

Please read the BSP Release Note for the u-boot bootargs details (Table 6 Kernel Boot Parameters).

oskar
Contributor II

I'm not sure which root filesystem should be used.

In L3.0.35_12.09.01_DEMO_IMAGE (L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar.gz) we have rootfs.tar.bz2 but if I use the content of this archive, the system cannot start:

Filename 'uImage'.

Load address: 0x10800000

Loading: T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T

(longer log attached).

We have also L3.0.35_12.09.01_UBUNTU_RFS (12_09_01_oneiric.tgz) - I packed it into rootfs.tar.bz2 and used instead of version from demo image - the system started but with problems described in my previous post.

It "works" better but I'm not sure that this approach is correct.

I just wanted to create the image again for 2nd case - looks like I have the endless loading too - maybe I missed sth.

---------------

L3.0.35_12.09.01_DEMO_IMAGE copied again. System started without errors - but with different GUI and without X11. :smileysad:

0 Kudos