cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KSZ8795 SPI setup

Jump to solution
aliismail
Contributor IV

Working on custom board with the imx6dqscm and we are trying to communicate with a ksz8795 switch through SPI. We have worked with a couple of drivers listed below:

KSZ8795 - Ethernet Switches 

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/phy/spi_ks8995.c

Everything seems to be configured correctly because we can see the correct clock signals and MOSI data going into the ksz8795. The only issue is that we are noticing that the chip select line is toggling between packets. We are thinking that this is terminating communication between the imx6 and the switch. I've looked in the RM and saw that there might be a potential wait state creating that delay, but I've checked that register and found 0 wait states. I am not sure what is causing the chip select to go high between packets. My questions are, what is causing this delay and how can I modify the driver to keep the SS low? I am just a little skeptical because these drivers are specific for this device, therefore, I must be missing something trivial.

20161031_181558.jpg

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
aliismail
Contributor IV

Turns out that using ECSPI3_SS0 to drive the chip select line generates the wait state between bursts. Instead, we define cs-gpios to an I/O pin and the driver kept the slave select low between bursts. Also, we used the driver provided by microchip.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ali

by definition of spi protocol signal SS is toggling on every burst
according to sect.21.4.4.1 Typical Master Mode i.MX6DQ Reference Manual
and setting ECSPIx_CONREG[BURST_LENGTH]
http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf
If permanent ss low is needed, one can configure it as gpio setting low
level in spi probe function.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
aliismail
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

If you take a look at section 21.4.4.1.3, figure 21-8 is really what I need. The SS line is low between sending bursts and the burst length in that case is 8. I do not have any wait states so I am not sure why the SS line is going high between those two bursts.

0 Kudos
aliismail
Contributor IV

Turns out that using ECSPI3_SS0 to drive the chip select line generates the wait state between bursts. Instead, we define cs-gpios to an I/O pin and the driver kept the slave select low between bursts. Also, we used the driver provided by microchip.