Is it possible to overclock the i.MX 7 system?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to overclock the i.MX 7 system?

maxchan-ratta
Contributor I

Currently I am developing a multimedia solution on i.MX 7. I found myself running out of AXI and DRAM bandwidth when a lot of simultaneous DMA action is happening. Is it possible to overclock the DRAM interface and the AXI bus? If so, how can I do this?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Max Chang,

You would be limited by the valid clock configurations for the AXI which you most likely already exhausted. The other option would be overclocking the i.MX7 per se, but this would render it out of the acceptable conditions and you may cause damage to the processor and the behavior could not be guaranteed.

In this scenario, I would recommend working on the priorities for the AXI access. This would not fix your problem, I realize, since bandwidth is limited, but you may use it in a manner that allows for more acceptable and consistent behavior.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

maxchan-ratta
Contributor I

How can I change the AXI priority then?

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Max Chan,

The Crossbar Switch (AXBS) Control Register (MCM_PLACR) looks as reserved on the reference manual. I’m investigating if there are indeed options to improve performance by changing arbitration. I’ll let you know as soon as I have more information.

Regards,

0 Kudos