cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1050-EVKB - can't flash anymore

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey,

I was programming my board via USB - drag+droping the bin file. It worked for like a week, but now it seems like its not possible anymore. After the reboot there is a fail.txt on the drive stating the following:

error: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU
type: target

Note: the board was connected like an usb drive and named RT1050-EVK.

If I press SW4 druing power on, it mounts like an usb drive named "MAINTENANCE".

If I drag+drop the file here, there's also a fail.txt with the following content:

The transfer timed out.

Also, the LED near the usb port is not flashing during the copy of the file anymore. It has been flashing during connecting the usb and file copy process, but now its only flashing during connect. If I copy the file on maintenance, the led stays on - in the other mode its off. Seems like the file transfer is just not being done.

Any idea how to fix that/completely reset the board? Is my board broken?

Also note, i do not have a JTAG debugger. It also looks like these cost more than 500€, if I#m not mistaken...

Any help will be appreciated.. I really like to work with that processor, but I have been stuck the whole week and I have deadlines on the project. If I cant resolve it, I might have to switch to another platform

0 Kudos
13 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann 

Please don't be afraid, your issue should be caused by the invalid code is loaded to the flash, now, you just need to do the mass erase at first, it will help you get back.

The MIMXRT1050-EVKB has the on board debugger, the default is CMSIS-DAP.

Now, follow me to do the board mass erase at first.

1. board enter the serial download mode

SW7:1-OFF, 2-ON, 3-OFF, 4-ON

2. Download the MCUBootUtility tool:

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/releases/tag/v3.5.0
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

3. find another USB cable connect it to the J9, press the reset, you will find the USB HID has the PID and VID.

Follow this one:

kerryzhou_0-1652847716699.png

After mass erase finished.

4. Then power off the board, SW7:1-OFF, 2-ON,3-ON, 4-OFF, internal boot mode.

Then you should can use the on board CMSIS DAP to debug your project.

You can use the MCUXpresso IDE with the SDK, instead of the MSD method.

Please try it on your side.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey,

thank you for your response.

I modified SW7 according to your reply.

I took an additional USB cable and connected it to J9. Unfortunately, the software is not able to find the HID device...

So I tried to use UART instead. By using COM5 the software seems to find my board, but then there is an Error Message:

Make sure that you have put MCU in SDP (Serial Downloader Programming) mode (BMOD[1:0] pins = 2'b01)!

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann ,

When you do this:

I modified SW7 according to your reply.

I took an additional USB cable and connected it to J9

You need to power off and power on the board again, otherwise, your chip can't enter the serial download mode.

Please try it again.

If you still have issues, give me a photo of your board connection.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey,

I did - the reset switches do not seem to work at the moment, maybe because its bricked? I unplugged and pluged J28 again after SW7 modification.

I conected two usb-cables - even though J9 does not seem to have any visible effect in the device-manager.

see photos attached

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann ,

Unplug all your 2 usb cable.

J1 move shorten from 5-6 to 3-4, then plug one USB cable to J9, then check you the MCUBootUtility again, it should like this:

kerryzhou_0-1652859794883.png

If you still can't find the USB-HID, seems your chip even didn't enter the serial download mode.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

maulesh
Contributor I

Hi @kerryzhou ,

Facing the same issue in my i.MXRT1050 kit. can not program kit using MCU Xpresso as well as drag-drop method.

Tried above given all methods to connect MCUBootUtility using HID device. But couldn't find HID device in MCUBootUtility. 

• Tried with J28 power supply and connect other USB cable to J9 but device didn't detect.
  • Tried J1 from 5-6 to 3-4 and connect one USB cable to J9 only but still not detectable.

Switch 7 position: 1-OFF, 2-ON, 3-OFF, 4-ON

Is there anything that missing out from my side? or any other method to full erase chipset?

Please look into it and help me out.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey,

I was finally able to connect the USB-HID and do the mass-erase, but it looks like the problem is still occuring. After drag+dropping the bn file, there is still a fail.txt

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann ,

It should related to your firmware.

Why you need to use this MSD method, if you want to download the .bin file, you also can use the MCUBootutility download it, or you even can use the IDE+on board debugger download the code.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Also, when i tried to connect via J9 - the CPU gets very hot in like 2 seconds. Almost burned my finger on it - is the device broken?

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann ,

Do you shorten something?

D15 is related to the reset:

kerryzhou_0-1652927975246.png

When you connect the J9 download the code in serail download mode, you don't need to connect other USB port.

About the on board debugger, you also can follow this link, update the cmsis dap firmware again:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/sensor-toolbox-sensor-development-ecosystem...

Just in the previous method, find the MAINTENCE disk, then send this one to it:

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/initialization-boot-device-driver-code-generation/k20dx_mimxrt1050_...

Unzip it, send .bin is OK.

Then, power off and power on again, the firmware will be back to the CMSIS DAP.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey,

thanks for your help

Yeah I know, just one usb cable - I have sucessfully done this, but now its not working anymore. If I connect to J9, the D15 is not flashing - its permanently on. And the processor gets very very hot. Flash tol cant find the USB-HID device again. Also I reinstalled the bootloader image on the maintenance volume with no error - but it had no effect. I didn't think I sorted anything because the only thing on my table is the board connected with one usb cable...

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @alexbollmann ,

So, the board is very very hot, seems your hardware has some abnormal.

If you connect to the J28 USB port, then J1 still to 5-6, whether the hot happens or not?

If not, check your :

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, whether it has the following CMSIS DAP or not?

kerryzhou_0-1653009804646.png

I suggest you use the MCUXpresso IDE with the SDK project to debug the code directly, whether that works or not?

Don't use the MSD load app.bin now, as you use that method meet issues.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

alexbollmann
Contributor II

Hey, it acutally worked with the jumper set so 3-4. I was able to flash a blinky sample. Then, I tried so flash my custom software again (an older version which already worked), but now, it seems bricked again. The LED D15 keeps flashing slightliy at ca. 2 times per second.

The NXP MCU Boot Utility again is not able to find the USB-HID Device..

0 Kudos