cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8MP - Linux Ubuntu (VMware) - repo init hanging

MaxWilko
Contributor II

Hi there!

I am an electronics engineer with a small amount of knowledge in this area. My plan is to create a bootable Linux yocto image to test a carrier board and to switch on the LVDS output (as I believe it has to be done by switching it on in the yocto image) and I haven't got to this stage yet.

I am following the "IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf", I have encountered quite a few errors which I have managed to resolve. 

I have ensured all relevant files have read/write access and I have confirmed that it has been set.

I cleared a syntax error which seemed to be related to the where the files are placed.

Everything seems like its in place to use "~$ repo init -u https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-langdale -m imx-6.1.1-1.0.0.xml"

Except when I execute the command, it just hangs, I thought it might be a slow connection, so I waited 4-5 hours and nothing changed.

Further still if I enter the command "ps -ef | grep repo" in a separate terminal, I can see the repo process is running.

And in "gnome-system-monitor" I can see a few kbit/s download and one of my four CPU cores which are allocated in VMware is at 100%, and my other cores are barely used.

When I ctrl+c (cancel) the repo init command, the CPU usage drops back to normal. So something is happening!

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Max

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

MaxWilko
Contributor II

Hello Harvey,

I installed ubuntu on my laptop using dual boot partition and this problem went away, it is now working!
If anyone has the error 

/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory

On Ubuntu 20.04 and newer, there is a package to fix this problem. Run these commands....

sudo apt update
sudo apt install python-is-python3

It sorts out that error.

I have more steps to complete so I will be back in contact if I become stuck again.

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos

Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MaxWilko 

The most likely cause of this problem is the network problem of your virtual machine. From this screenshot, if I understand correctly, the network download speed is below 2.0KB/s. repo init -u https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-langdale -m imx-6.1.1-1.0.0.xml After running, you can see the hidden ".reop" file , which contains these files, is 14MB in size.

ls .repo/
manifests manifests.git manifest.xml repo TRACE_FILE

Best regards

Harvey

0 Kudos

MaxWilko
Contributor II

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for your response I have been out of office for a week so I will get back to you as soon as I have investigated further.

Thanks for your time,

Max

0 Kudos