cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get an application run on EVK

JackSun
Contributor I

Hi, ALL

I compiled a hello world program in Virtual Machine Ubuntu 10.

But It can't be run on EVK. 

My project requires that an application should be compiled in Virtual Machine Ubuntu 10

and the application is run on EVK.

What should I do?

//test.c 
#include 

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) 

printf("Hello World\n"); 

arm-linux-gcc -o test test.c   // I also tried [gcc -o test test.c] 

Then I logged in the EVK, doing the follows 
root@freescale /tmp/test$ ftpget -u s -p s 10.0.0.51 test test 

ran test 
root@freescale /tmp/test$ chmod 777 test 
root@freescale /tmp/test$ ./test 
-sh: ./test: not found 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

I'm glad I could help.

0 Kudos

JackSun
Contributor I

Hi, Jay 

You helped my once again.

I installed arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc into my virtual machine ubuntu and compile test.c as follows.

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -o test test.c

The [test] can be run on imx28 evk.

Great thanks.

Jay William Stubblefield said:

I suspect that you're not building correctly for the Target Processor. I suspect that 'test' might run under Ubuntu.

This is what I did to get an application working on the MX28 EVK.

I used the gcc that I downloaded for the MX28 EVK. Namely  I downloaded L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source_bundle.tar.gz.

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc to build your progam. I setup Eclipse (see Application Note AN3870 - "Developing an Application for the i.MX Devices on the Linux Platform") to do the build for me. I got the results below for uart_appnote.c:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

**** Clean-only build of configuration MX28-Debug for project uart_appnote ****

make clean

rm -rf  ./src/uart_appnote.o  ./src/uart_appnote.d  uart_appnote

**** Build of configuration MX28-Debug for project uart_appnote ****

make all

Building file: ../src/uart_appnote.c

Invoking: GCC C Compiler

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -I/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rpm/BUILD/linux/include -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/uart_appnote.d" -MT"src/uart_appnote.d" -o"src/uart_appnote.o" "../src/uart_appnote.c"

Finished building: ../src/uart_appnote.c

Building target: uart_appnote

Invoking: GCC C Linker

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -L/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rootfs/lib -L/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rootfs/usr/lib -o"uart_appnote"  ./src/uart_appnote.o  

Finished building target: uart_appnote

make --no-print-directory post-build

Copy binaries to TFTP directory

cp ~/workspace/uart_appnote/MX28-Debug/uart_appnote /tftpboot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above listing is from my console in Eclipse. I had some struggles setting up Eclipse (still running into some problems),

but the fact that I can build with it and it generates the makefiles that it uses makes it useful. I also can do source level debugging on the Target (with GDBServer over Ethernet). I had to use 3.5 (Galileo) instead of 3.4 (couldn't get to come up under Ubuntu 10.04.3). I downloaded and installed the Galileo version of Eclipse from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/galileo/sr2. Choose “Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers” for Linux, 32-bit (eclipse-cpp-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz). I had to install "OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime" from the Ubuntu Software Center before installing Eclipse as Java is required for Eclipse to run.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

MichaelMinnick
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

One way to build an app is to use LTIB. Download the documentation bundle, L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_docs.tar.gz from freescale.com and read the app note Linux_HelloWorld_AN.pdf. It shows how to create a spec file and a makefile for your app and use LTIB to build it for the i.mx28 target.

0 Kudos

JayWilliamStubb
Contributor II

I suspect that you're not building correctly for the Target Processor. I suspect that 'test' might run under Ubuntu.

This is what I did to get an application working on the MX28 EVK.

I used the gcc that I downloaded for the MX28 EVK. Namely  I downloaded L2.6.35_10.12.01_SDK_source_bundle.tar.gz.

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc to build your progam. I setup Eclipse (see Application Note AN3870 - "Developing an Application for the i.MX Devices on the Linux Platform") to do the build for me. I got the results below for uart_appnote.c:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

**** Clean-only build of configuration MX28-Debug for project uart_appnote ****

make clean

rm -rf  ./src/uart_appnote.o  ./src/uart_appnote.d  uart_appnote

**** Build of configuration MX28-Debug for project uart_appnote ****

make all

Building file: ../src/uart_appnote.c

Invoking: GCC C Compiler

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -I/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rpm/BUILD/linux/include -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"src/uart_appnote.d" -MT"src/uart_appnote.d" -o"src/uart_appnote.o" "../src/uart_appnote.c"

Finished building: ../src/uart_appnote.c

Building target: uart_appnote

Invoking: GCC C Linker

/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-glibc-2.11.1-multilib-1.0/arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -L/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rootfs/lib -L/home/jays1/imx28/ltib/rootfs/usr/lib -o"uart_appnote"  ./src/uart_appnote.o  

Finished building target: uart_appnote

make --no-print-directory post-build

Copy binaries to TFTP directory

cp ~/workspace/uart_appnote/MX28-Debug/uart_appnote /tftpboot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above listing is from my console in Eclipse. I had some struggles setting up Eclipse (still running into some problems),

but the fact that I can build with it and it generates the makefiles that it uses makes it useful. I also can do source level debugging on the Target (with GDBServer over Ethernet). I had to use 3.5 (Galileo) instead of 3.4 (couldn't get to come up under Ubuntu 10.04.3). I downloaded and installed the Galileo version of Eclipse from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/galileo/sr2. Choose “Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers” for Linux, 32-bit (eclipse-cpp-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz). I had to install "OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime" from the Ubuntu Software Center before installing Eclipse as Java is required for Eclipse to run.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

JackSun
Contributor I

More information:

Linux version 2.6.35.3-571-gcca29a0 (root@ubuntu)(gcc version 4.4.4 (4.4.4_09.06.2010) ) 

0 Kudos