cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use UART?

Jump to solution
jonathantaylor
Contributor II

I see posts about seeing console output via uart, but don't understand how that works.  If I use putty, or hyper terminal (on Windows), I can connect to the device.  My PC then receives unreadable garbage on the screen.  Now what? The user manual for my board http://www.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/MX53UG.pdf says to test uart by entering: echo “test” > /dev/ttymxc2 on the device.  I assume the result of that should be seeing "test" on my PC?  That doesn't happen.  Nothing appears to happen in fact.  Further, I don't see how I can send a command to the device.  I would really love to have a terminal interaction on my PC with the board.  Is that possible?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jonathantaylor
Contributor II

I figured out reading the data at least!  The baud rate was simply not right.  Instead of using 9600, as is the documented default, I had to use 115200.  Then I could read the output as it boot!  Thank god.  There's something at least.  I still don;t know if I can have an interactive session though?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jonathantaylor
Contributor II

I figured out reading the data at least!  The baud rate was simply not right.  Instead of using 9600, as is the documented default, I had to use 115200.  Then I could read the output as it boot!  Thank god.  There's something at least.  I still don;t know if I can have an interactive session though?

0 Kudos