cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging U-boot on iMX6

mg
Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to know what options are available for source level debugging of U-boot for the iMX6 processor (Quad or Solo).

I have a custom board using iMX6S and the design for this board is based on the Sabre SD reference board which uses iMX6Q.

To begin with, I would like to setup the environment to debug U-boot for the Sabre SD board.

I can then use this as the basis for setting up the debug environment for my custom board.

Here is my current setup:

- Reference board used: Sabre SD board - MCIMX6Q SDB

- Kernel version: LTIB Linux 3.0.35

- U-boot version: 2009.08

I have a bootable SD card that has all the binaries (U-boot, kernel and rootfs) and I can bring up the Sabre board with these binaries.

So now, I would like to modify U-boot for my custom board and hence would like to have a debugging environment that allows for single stepping.

Has anyone tried using J-link? If yes, what was the setup (use Eclipse for building U-boot and then use JTAG for debugging)?

Any pointers here will be very helpful.

Thanks,

MG.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi M G

I think subject well described on various links below, please

look at them

ARM DS-5 Quick Start (i.MX6) - BlueWiki

OpenOCD Problem i.MX6

Load u-boot with JTAG

Getting J-Link working with i.MX6Q - J-Link/Flasher related - SEGGER Forum

Problems debugging I.MX6 with J-Link and GDB-Server - J-Link/Flasher related - SEGGER Forum

Freescale imx6 sabre lite support in jlink software version 4.58a - J-Link/Flasher related - SEGGER ...

AN4553 Using Open Source Debugging Tools for Linux on i.MX Processors

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mg
Contributor I

Thanks for the pointers.

I had looked at some of these options but not all.

I’ll set up something in the next few weeks.

0 Kudos