Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Android and compatibility of Fedora on i.MX515EVK

VincentChou1z
Contributor III

Hi!  Friends,

When we tried to build Android, we came across these errors:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. when executing:
  ./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b froyo
  I found the error:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./repo", line 603, in ?
   main(sys.argv[1:])
 File "./repo", line 570, in main
   _Init(args)
 File "./repo", line 184, in _Init
   _CheckGitVersion()
 File "./repo", line 213, in _CheckGitVersion
   proc = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/subprocess.py", line 558, in __init__
   errread, errwrite)
 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/subprocess.py", line 991, in _execute_child
   raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone come across these in your experience?  If you do, how do you eliminate these?

Also, we tried to build Android in Fedora Core.  We came across a different issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. When generating Android partitions on SD, in r9.2, it takes to use mkfs.ext4 to make
the partitions as ext4 format. But in r8, it can use mkfs.ext3. My Fedora Core don't
have mkfs.ext4, can I use mkfs.ext3 in r9.2?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone try to build ext3 in r9.2 before?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Vincent

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

TakAsami
Contributor I

I can't tell you the specific details, but ext2 is an extension of original disk format, and both ext3 and ext4 are extension of that. I believe they are backward compatible, so (I understand, and so far in my experience) you can use ext4 for any that calls for ext2 or ext3 format. You just specify that in the init script.

Reverse is typically true, unless the specific system is taking advantage of whatever that's not compatible...  

Tak Asami

OSO Technology

0 Kudos

VincentChou1z
Contributor III

Do you know the difference between ext2, ext3 and ext4 on i.MX51 evk?  I am confused about the difference.  Which one would be your choice in this case?

Vincent

Daiane Angolini said:

For ext3, I believe you can use it instead of ext4. You only need to double check init.rc.

By default, init.rc mount SDCard partition as ext4.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For ext3, I believe you can use it instead of ext4. You only need to double check init.rc.

By default, init.rc mount SDCard partition as ext4.

0 Kudos

VincentChou1z
Contributor III

Hi! Asami San,

Your suggestion works!  Thanks a lot!

Vincent

Tak Asami said:

For Q1, this is quoted from a post in another group of imx community. Coming from Google, this must be a reliable info.

./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b froyo

Did NOT work. After googling around, I found a explanation below.

./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b android-2.2.1_r2

the above line worked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
explanation

At the scale of the entire Android Open-Source Project, the latest stable release is the tagged android-2.2_r1.1, which is build FRF91. This is what you should be using as a starting point when building a consumer device (or a newer version if there's one).

There is no project-wide froyo-release branch, that branch is only present in individual projects as an implementation detail because git/repo needs it in order to be able to sync the tagged releases. You shouldn't be able to successfully run "repo init -b froyo-release".
The state of froyo-release across individual projects isn't guaranteed to match a stable state.

The froyo branch contains all the changes that are present in the froyo-release branch, plus a few additional ones.

The master branch is the one that we accept contributions against (we're not generally equipped to accept changes in froyo, except in the CTS project). It's approximately froyo plus all the contributions submitted so far. This is what you should be using when contributing to the Android Open-Source Project.
JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.

For Q2, I have no direct experience in r9.2 or Fedora. But there is no magic about ext4 or ext3 or ext2, for that matter, jffs2 or ramdisk. As long as you can write the file in the format, and (this is important!) u-boot understands your choice of format, it doesn't matter how you format the SD card partition.

Tak at OSOTek
0 Kudos

VincentChou1z
Contributor III

Hi!  Tak,

Thanks for your great explanation!  We shall try your suggestions later today. 

Vincent

Tak Asami said:

For Q1, this is quoted from a post in another group of imx community. Coming from Google, this must be a reliable info.

./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b froyo

Did NOT work. After googling around, I found a explanation below.

./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b android-2.2.1_r2

the above line worked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
explanation

At the scale of the entire Android Open-Source Project, the latest stable release is the tagged android-2.2_r1.1, which is build FRF91. This is what you should be using as a starting point when building a consumer device (or a newer version if there's one).

There is no project-wide froyo-release branch, that branch is only present in individual projects as an implementation detail because git/repo needs it in order to be able to sync the tagged releases. You shouldn't be able to successfully run "repo init -b froyo-release".
The state of froyo-release across individual projects isn't guaranteed to match a stable state.

The froyo branch contains all the changes that are present in the froyo-release branch, plus a few additional ones.

The master branch is the one that we accept contributions against (we're not generally equipped to accept changes in froyo, except in the CTS project). It's approximately froyo plus all the contributions submitted so far. This is what you should be using when contributing to the Android Open-Source Project.
JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.

For Q2, I have no direct experience in r9.2 or Fedora. But there is no magic about ext4 or ext3 or ext2, for that matter, jffs2 or ramdisk. As long as you can write the file in the format, and (this is important!) u-boot understands your choice of format, it doesn't matter how you format the SD card partition.

Tak at OSOTek
0 Kudos

TakAsami
Contributor I
For Q1, this is quoted from a post in another group of imx community. Coming from Google, this must be a reliable info. ./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b froyo Did NOT work. After googling around, I found a explanation below. ./repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b android-2.2.1_r2 the above line worked. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- explanation At the scale of the entire Android Open-Source Project, the latest stable release is the tagged android-2.2_r1.1, which is build FRF91. This is what you should be using as a starting point when building a consumer device (or a newer version if there's one). There is no project-wide froyo-release branch, that branch is only present in individual projects as an implementation detail because git/repo needs it in order to be able to sync the tagged releases. You shouldn't be able to successfully run "repo init -b froyo-release". The state of froyo-release across individual projects isn't guaranteed to match a stable state. The froyo branch contains all the changes that are present in the froyo-release branch, plus a few additional ones. The master branch is the one that we accept contributions against (we're not generally equipped to accept changes in froyo, except in the CTS project). It's approximately froyo plus all the contributions submitted so far. This is what you should be using when contributing to the Android Open-Source Project. JBQ -- Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google. For Q2, I have no direct experience in r9.2 or Fedora. But there is no magic about ext4 or ext3 or ext2, for that matter, jffs2 or ramdisk. As long as you can write the file in the format, and (this is important!) u-boot understands your choice of format, it doesn't matter how you format the SD card partition. Tak at OSOTek
0 Kudos