cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android as DomU in i.MX8QuadXPlus board

Ranadip
Contributor II

Hello,

I could run Xen hypervisor in i.MX8QuadXPlus board. I could also run Linux as a guest OS (DomU).

Now, I want to run Android as another guest OS. Is it feasible?

Regards,

Ranadip

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Ranadip
Contributor II

Hello @hector_delgado,

I started working according to i.MX virtualization user guide, section 3.4 (https://community.nxp.com/pwmxy87654/attachments/pwmxy87654/imx-processors/171234/1/IMXVIRTUG_ga.pdf)

There are few files I couldn't locate at the relevant places:

• At step 1: L_VIRT_4.14.98_2.0.0_4.11_0.10_ga_images_MX8QMMEK.zip (or fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8qmmek.sdcard) is not available in NXP website
  • At step 7: spl-imx8<board_type>-xen.bin file relevant for i.MX8 QuadXPlus board is not available in android_p9.0.0_2.1.0-auto-ga_image_8qmek.tar.gz
  • At step 8: u-boot-imx8<board_type>-xen-dom0.imx file relevant for i.MX8 QuadXPlus board is not available in android_p9.0.0_2.1.0-auto-ga_image_8qmek.tar.gz
  • At step 11: domu-imx8<board_type>-mek-androidauto.cfg file relevant for i.MX8 QuadXPlus board is not available in git (https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-xen/tree/tools/examples)

Can you help where can I find these or how to generate these?

Regards,

Ranadip

0 Kudos

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Ranadip ,

The guide you're consulting (specifically the section 3.4 you're referring to) is only for the i.MX 8QuadMax EVK. That's why you'll probably only find files referencing ''8qm''. 

If you're still looking for L_VIRT_4.14.98_2.0.0_4.11_0.10_ga_images_MX8QMMEK.zip, you can find it here Embedded Linux for i.MX Applications Processors | NXP Semiconductors 

I would suggest doing a CTRL+F search in the link and type ''Linux Virtualization" to find it. There you can download XEN demo images for the i.MX QuadXPlus. 

hector_delgado_0-1668541276493.png

Let me know if this information was of any help.

Best regards,
Hector

0 Kudos

Ranadip
Contributor II

Hello @hector_delgado,

Thanks for the clarification.

Meanwhile, can you please confirm if there is any separate virtualization guide for i.MX 8QuadXPlus board?

Regards,

Ranadip

0 Kudos

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Ranadip ,

Currently there's no virtualization guide for the i.MX 8QuadXPlus, but I would recommend doing one of the following:

1. Follow the Get Started with the MCIMX8QXP-CPU | NXP Semiconductors and use the Xen Demo Image files mentioned in my previous reply.

2. Use Yocto to build a Xen image compatible Linux (I'd recommend 5.10.52_2.1.0) 
*Note: not all recent and current BSP releases have Xen support.

3. Follow the Get Started with the MCIMX8QXP-CPU | NXP Semiconductors and use a Linux BSP that's compatible with Xen and then proceed to manual installation of Xen (follow GitHub - nxp-imx/imx-xen: i.MX Xen Hypervisor for instructions for the manual installation of Xen).

Let me know if this was of any help.

Best regards,
Hector.

0 Kudos

hector_delgado
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Ranadip ,

Yes, it is possible to run Android as a Guest OS with Xen. It is recommended that the Dom0 host has a GUI to avoid any problems executing the Android DomU. It is also recommended to have 4 GB RAM (DDR4).

Let me know if this was of any help to you.

Best regards,
Hector.

Ranadip
Contributor II

Hello @hector_delgado,

Thanks for your response. This is helpful for trying out what I planned.

Regards,

Ranadip