cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing FlexSPI on RT1170

krishnad
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using RT1170EVK board that boots using QSPI flash connected over FlexSPI1-A in quad mode. RT1170 has two FlexSPI modules 1&2. Each module has two ports A & B. Each port provides two chip selects. With this a total of 8 QSPI flash devices can be connected to RT1170 in quad mode. Here are my queries:

1: I want to add and connect a QSPI flash to the RT1170 board using FlexSPI. After going through the schematics and RM, my understanding is the required pins are not accessible. I would like to know how can i add and connect a QSPI to the RT1170 and on which module/port of FlexSPI peripheral.

2: How to use both QSPI NOR flash and OctalSPI flash. QSPI would be used for booting purpose and OctalSPI flash would be used to write some settings or other similar data. From schematics both QSPI and OctalSPI flash has the same CS line from FlexSPI1-A-SS0 and on the board the positions of pads are such that at any point of time only one (either QSPI or OctalSPI) flash can be used.

3: Without making any hardware modifications to the RT1170 EVK board, what are the other possible stand-alone boot options other than QSPI flash?

Pls do get back to me if think you need more inputs/information from me to answer the above questions.

Thanks in advance.

-Krishna

0 Kudos
3 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) In my opinion, the MIMXRT1170-EVK board doesn't support extending an extra QSPI.
-- Yes.
2) Without making any hardware modifications to the RT1170 EVK board, what are the other possible stand-alone boot options other than QSPI flash?
-- Regarding MIMXRT1170, it supports boot from SD card, Nand flash, QSPI without any hardware modifications.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

krishnad
Contributor II

@jeremyzhou, Thank you for your reply.

I would like to elaborate more on my requirement. Instead of adding a new QSPI flash on FlexSPI bus as i mentioned earlier, my intention is to add a FPGA device which would act as FlexSPI slave. I would like to not touch the existing QSPI Flash used for booting.

Could you pls help me sharing information on how can i connect a FlexSPI slave (FPGA) device to RT1170 board and on which module/port/CS to be used.

>> -- Regarding MIMXRT1170, it supports boot from SD card, Nand flash, QSPI without any hardware modifications.

I believe on RT1170 board, NAND flash cannot be used for booting without making hardware changes. The SEMC data lines are not wired to NAND flash, the resistors are DNP. This leaves only SD card and QSPI. Pls confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Krishna

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Could you pls help me sharing information on how can i connect a FlexSPI slave (FPGA) device to RT1170 board and on which module/port/CS to be used.
-- To provide the fastest possible support, I'd highly recommend you to refer to the post:

https://www.cnblogs.com/henjay724/p/15139381.html

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos