2nd PCIe Port on MCIMX8QM-MEK With MCIMX8-8X-BB Stopped Working

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd PCIe Port on MCIMX8QM-MEK With MCIMX8-8X-BB Stopped Working

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

The 2nd PCIe port on the MCIMX8QM-MEK with the MCIMX8-8X-BB stopped working in NXP's latest Linux BSP LF5.15.52_2.1.0​ (Sep 2022). I tried multiple M.2 Wi-Fi cards which used to work just fine in previous BSPs. What exactly would need to be done to get it working again? Or is the 2nd PCIe port no longer supported?

BTW: This is the error reported during boot:

[ 4.272533] imx6q-pcie 5f010000.pcie: Phy link never came up
[ 4.279106] imx6q-pcie: probe of 5f010000.pcie failed with error -110

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
17 Replies

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

> About PCIEB, Let's the customer confirm they set PCIEB in DTS instead of use our BSP default DTS.

As mentioned before the regular MEK device tree does already have both PCIe ports enabled:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/linux-imx/blob/lf-5.15.52-2.1.0/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8qm-mek....

> Here could you share your dts to us?

There is absolutely nothing customised on our side. This is all straight NXP default binaries, device trees, and reference boards!

Could you please elaborate?!?

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

@marcelziswiler it's only support legacy PCI end device(need external power). if want to enable it to support M.2 PCIE end device need to modify BOARD HARDWARE DESIGN.

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Yes, however, we do have the properly modified hardware which BTW, as already mentioned more than two months ago, works just fine running the previous NXP release.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I have create case 00518037 for you, I will update to you there.

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

So NXP gave up on PCIe support? Or is there anything secret about getting this working?

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

No secret, for case can give you fast update, and for the community questions are easy to ignore for the update.

Can you receive the update to you in the case before? if yes, could you share us details and we can go further confirm for you.

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Case just got closed without any resolution!

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

NXP dares to shed some light on this topic?

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I will help confirm it~~

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Any progress on this? Thanks!

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

BB board M.2 doesn't support wifi module, if you want to insert enable wifi on BB board. need to refer CPU board M.2 interface to rework.

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Well, okay, but it worked before with previous NXP BSP releases so I believe we do have the required hardware re-work already. So I kinda don't think that is the issue at hand here. Or are there now suddenly any other (software) changes required? Can you confirm that you have this working on your side? Thanks!

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

@marcelziswiler The LF5.15.52 didn't disable PCIE . Are you enable it in kernel config, right?

menuconfig  param : "PCI Express Advanced Error Reporting support"

About PCIEB,  could you confirm if have you set  PCIEB in DTS instead of use our BSP default .

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

> @marcelziswiler The LF5.15.52 didn't disable PCIE . Are you enable it in kernel config, right?

I am using regular binary reference images.

> menuconfig param : "PCI Express Advanced Error Reporting support"

No, I did not change anything in that respect.

> About PCIEB, could you confirm if have you set PCIEB in DTS instead of use our BSP default .

Not sure what exactly you are referring to as the regular device tree for the i.MX 8QuadMax MEK does have both enabled:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/linux-imx/blob/lf-5.15.52-2.1.0/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8qm-mek....

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Are you using NXP reference board? If yes, could you share use your board dts file to us?

0 Kudos

marcelziswiler
Senior Contributor I

Are you using NXP reference board? If yes, could you share use your board dts file to us?

Yes, as noted in my initial post I use regular MCIMX8QM-MEK with the MCIMX8-8X-BB which so far worked just fine in all/any previous BSP. As for the device tree the regular MEK one does have both PCIe ports enabled:

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

LF5.15.52 didn't disable PCIE  AER,

menuconfig  param : "PCI Express Advanced Error Reporting support"

About PCIEB,  Let's the customer confirm they set  PCIEB in DTS instead of use our BSP default 

DTS.

Here could you share your dts to us?

0 Kudos