Weston clone mode on i.MX8MPlus

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This post shows a new feature (weston_clone_mode) that many customers need before in i.MX8MPlus. 

The demo works on Linux BSP L5.10.72_2.2.0 and weston branch weston-imx-9.0.

The detailed introduction, running steps and test result are shown in the attached PPT.

Default Extend Mode Pipeline:

inly_huang_0-1705656318160.png

Clone Mode Pipeline:

inly_huang_1-1705656360406.png

The DSI buffers which as the clone source in the pipeline can also be changed to HDMI or LVDS buffers.

Running Steps:

• git apply  clone_difResolution.diff
  • source /opt/fsl-imx-xwayland/5.10-hardknott/environment-setup-cortexa53-crypto-poky-linux
  • meson build/ --prefix=/usr -Ddoc=false -Dbackend-drm-screencast-vaapi=false -Dcolor-management-lcms=false -Dcolor-management-colord=false -Dpipewire=false -Dbackend-x11=false -Dbackend-fbdev=false -Dxwayland=true -Drenderer-g2d=true
  • DESTDIR=./opt/weston ninja -C build/ install
  • tar -cvf weston_usr.tar build/opt/weston/usr/*
  • copy the weston_usr.tar to your evk board
  • systemctl stop Weston
  • tar -xvf weston_usr.tar
  • cp -r  build/opt/weston/* / & sync
  • Adding “clone-mode=1”, “clone-connector-id=41” to your /etc/xdg/weston/weston.ini “core” section like picture (1). You can also add “cloneoutput” section like picture (2)  If you decides to use other modes of your screen.
  • systemctl restart Weston
  • 41 or 45 in the pictures are the connector id of the corresponding screens. You can use modetest –M imx-drm to see the connector id.

inly_huang_2-1705656464437.png

Test Results:

Three displays:

IMG_9524.jpg

Two Displays:

inly_huang_3-1705656693572.png

Reference Link

i.MX8MPlus :https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/development-boards/i-mx-evaluation-and-development-boards/e... 

weston: https://github.com/nxp-imx/weston-imx 

weston doc: https://wayland.pages.freedesktop.org/weston/ 

HPD update

Please update the patch to clone_difResolution_add_HPD.diff which supports HPD feature.

Notion: pleas add force-on=true to the output you use as main screen. For example.

inly_huang_0-1711073512332.png

Attachments
Comments

Dear,

In the previous version, the hot swap function was not supported. When can the updated version be released? Thank you!

Best Regards!

Jack

Hi,

We use Yocto recipe for IMX8MPLUS with kernel 6.1.36 from our seller. It's embedded with weston-imx-11.

Is it possible to use an adapted patch to have the same functionality?

I tried to apply the patch on files, so far most conflicts can be fixed, still it remains drm.c patch functions that no longer exists. (drm create heads related)

Is there a weston-imx-11 version for this clone mode? As many customers we need this for our industrial integration of IMX8.

Thanks.

Regards.

Hi, @XavierCLMP 

No such version for now. I will try to make one in a few weeks.  Will let you know when it finished.

Thanks

100% helpful (2/2)
Version history
Last update:
‎03-22-2024 03:31 AM
Updated by: