IW612 long distance connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IW612 long distance connection

MKobayashi
Contributor I

I am using u-blox M2-MAYA-W2(IW612). I am trying to use it as an SPP server for long distance communication.
The IW612 can be moved over long distances while connected. However, it is not possible to search or connect over long distances.

I thought it would be improved by increasing the Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level, but there was no change.
The setting seems to be correct at 16dBm.

hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x03 0x0058
< HCI Command: ogf 0x03, ocf 0x0058, plen 0
> HCI Event: 0x0e plen 5
01 58 0C 00 10

What can I do to be able to search and connect over long distances?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @MKobayashi 

As you know,  per the Bluetooth specification, Bluetooth wireless technology is a short-range
communications system intended to replace the cable(s) connecting portable and/or fixed
electronic devices.

SPP is one kind of feature for classic Bluetooth.

Christine_Li_1-1713164688648.png

IW612 supports BLE long range.

Christine_Li_0-1713164606143.png

So, SPP and BLE long range is different concept, hope you can understand my meanings.

And by the way, you are correct, from the read results, it seems you have set it to 16dbm for  Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level.

Can you please have a try with lower  Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level to see whether can shorter the inquiry/connect distance?

To change its  Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level, you can use this command:

Write Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level: 

hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x03 0x0059 0x0c   //set Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level to 12 dbm.

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

MKobayashi
Contributor I

Hello. @Christine_Li

We are trying to use an IW612 instead of a past 15dBm device. that device is classic bluetooth.
In addition to BLE long range, classic is required for compatibility.

I briefly lowered the Inquiry Response Transmit Power Level to -14dBm and checked the RSSI on the communication partner, but there was no change.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @MKobayashi 

As you mentioned before "it is not possible to search or connect over long distances."

May I ask how long do you need to search or connect successfully?

And how long did you find it could not search or connect successfully?

To understand your requirements and the experience failed distance, so that I can check it locally.

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

MKobayashi
Contributor I

Hello. @Christine_Li

I measured the connection and communication distance using classic communication.
It was possible to reconnection up to about 480m. This assumes that a connection can be established within 40 seconds, including retries.

SPP transmission and reception was possible over 900m. This number is the limit of the measurement location.

Our hope is to reconnect over 600m.

Please tell me how to change the output limit regarding reconnection.

The search will be performed at a short distance, so a distance of about 10m is sufficient.

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @MKobayashi 

Firstly, thanks for your reply and hope you are doing well.

Secondly, this thread has been closed for more than 1 month, so the related case in our SFDC system could not be re-opened again automatically. Can you please help to create a new one and mention the background of related to this one? So that we can continue to support and it will automatically linked to our SFDC case system. Otherwise, we might miss some of your replies because of no SFDC case linked with this thread.

Thirdly, sorry for the inconvenience to you.

Best regards,

Christine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

MKobayashi
Contributor I

Hi, @Christine_Li

Sorry for the late reply.
We were unable to measure due to equipment trouble.

Continue by creating a new question.

Best regards,

0 Kudos