Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble sensing rotational freefall MMA8451

davidgroff
Contributor II

Hi,

I have two questions:

1.  I am looking at document AN4070 and it seems like it is possible to detect rotational freefall but I can't get it to work.  Could somebody help dumb it down for me?  I was able to get linear freefall to work great.

2.  As I said I was able to get linear freefall to work.  However it works on both positive and negative acceleration.  I want to make it so that it only triggers on negative (when the object drops, not when it is thrown in the air).  Is this possible?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

michaelestanley
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

David,

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the author of AN4070 on the topic of "rotational freefall".  I would like to refer you to a blog posting I created some time back at Accelerometer placement - where and why.  Equation 15 at the end of that posting is:

Ar' =A + Ar +  <-- Inertial Acceleration

2ω X Vr + <-- Coriolis Acceleration

α X r +    <-- Euler Acceleration

ω X (ω X r))  <-- Centripetal Acceleration

I'll refer you to the original blog posting for definitions of terms.  The important point is that AN4070 was attempting a Heuristic approach to detecting rotational free fall that does not consider the full implications of the equation above.  A single accelerometer cannot by itself separate all the effects shown in the equation.  You need to either add additional sensors or restrict the types and/or ranges of motion you are considering.  I would not spend any more time pursuing the AN4070 rotational free fall approach, and I'll be recommending that AN4070 be updated and/or removed from the website.

As to your second question, since there is no force, and therefore no acceleration other than gravity, on your sensor once it leaves your hands, I don't see an easy way to differentiate the peak from the rest of the trajectory.  You would have to compute the initial vertical velocity & acceleration of the object based upon accelerometer data prior to release, then figure out how long in free fall you need to reach 0m/s at the top of the arc.  Very tough to do for the general case.  Maybe someone else is more clever than me...

Mike

12/31/2014 4:44PM Addition: David,check out AN4446, which addresses determining the high point of the trajectory.

davidgroff
Contributor II

Mike,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Your blog post was very informative.  It was also somewhat advanced for me.  From what I gather, I might be able to detect rotational freefall and as well static freefall if I had two acceloromters and a microprocessor to make computations based on the data from both sensors?  Is that the only way?  Would a gyro sensor help?

Document AN4446 was helpful in understanding how to detect positive and negative freefall.  I don't know if I want to take that approach or not.  Do you think I could use a barometer/altimeter to detect altitude in order to distinguish positive or negative freefall?  - I see that the MPL3115A2 has a resolution of 0.1m

Thanks for your help/ideas,

David

0 Kudos