Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to test se05x-4.3.1-r0 package on imx8m_mini board

Jump to solution
mallikarjuna
Contributor I

Hi,

we integrated se05x-4.3.1 recipe into mickledore yocto source code(6.1.55 Linux Kernel) for imx8mm-lpddr4-evk target board.

I have downloaded "se05x_mw_v04.05.00.zip" from below link and compiled package using  se05x_4.3.1.bb file.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=SE05x-PLUG-TRUST-MW&appType=file1&DOWNLO... 

We are compile SE05x package using above recipe but  I have following queries regarding SE05x package. 

1) On imx8mm-lpddr4-evk board, which i2c header is connected for SE05x chip ? what are i2c pin number and i2c header number of schematics ?

2) Any driver changes required for SE05x packages. If yes, what is driver is used for configuring se05x and please share driver path and require changes ?

3) how to test SE05x on imx8mm-lpddr4-evk target board ? please share testing steps.  

Thanks,

Mallikarjuna Reddy Ambati.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

Yes, I have played SE050ARD with iMX8M kev board, and double confirmed the connection you made between SE050ARD and IMX8M_MINI MPU target board is correct, the root cause should be on the jumpers configurations. Please kindly pay attention to the following two jumpers:

Kan_Li_0-1713861387959.png

J6 should be 1-2 shorten as well as J14.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

Please kindly have my comments as below:

1) On imx8mm-lpddr4-evk board, which i2c header is connected for SE05x chip ? what are i2c pin number and i2c header number of schematics ?

- The default I2C interface is /dev/i2c-1, if another port is used , please modify the definition in "simw-top\hostlib\hostLib\platform\linux\i2c_a7.c"

2) Any driver changes required for SE05x packages. If yes, what is driver is used for configuring se05x and please share driver path and require changes ?

- Not needed at all.

3) how to test SE05x on imx8mm-lpddr4-evk target board ? please share testing steps.  

- you may firstly use the following command to probe the se05x device on board for verifying the i2c port. "i2cdetect -y -a -q 1", and check if the i2c port should be changed.

then you may run any se05x demo in /usr/local/bin for test.

Hope that makes sense,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
mallikarjuna
Contributor I

Hi @Kan_Li ,

Thank you for the reply.

1) you may firstly use the following command to probe the se05x device on board for verifying the i2c port. "i2cdetect -y -a -q 1", and check if the i2c port should be changed.

- To do that, I think SE05x chip needs to connect with imx8mm-lpddr4-evk target board externally, right?  or Se05x chip comes as built in chip for imx8mm board?

Q-1) If needs to connect externally, which I2C pins needs to use for connections? Need to use below J1004 I2C CN header to connect Se05x chip?  Is my understanding correct? 

mallikarjuna_0-1712557485026.png

Q-2) If available, please share any link/documents for SE05x connections with i2c header and testing steps?  

Thanks,
Mallikarjuna Reddy 

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

Yes, you have to connect OM-SE050ARD-E with the EVK to test SE050, and the connection is something like below:

Kan_Li_0-1712560020775.png

You may refer to simw-top/doc/dev-platforms/platform_imx8_linux.html for more details.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos
mallikarjuna
Contributor I

Hi,

Please find below fig 1: - OM-SE050ARD module and fig 2: IMX8M_MINI MPU Board that we are using.

mallikarjuna_1-1713270201379.jpeg

Fig 1:-  OM-SE050ARD module

mallikarjuna_4-1713268168840.jpeg

Fig 2: IMX8M_MINI MPU Board

We want to test above SE05x module on Imx8mmini MPU board.

On target board, I want to use J1004 I2C_CN (i2c3) header for connections which is configured as /dev/i2c-2 on target board. So, we modified same on simw-top\hostlib\hostLib\platform\linux\i2c_a7.c as default_axSmDevice_name = "/dev/i2c-2"; 

Now, how SE05x module to be connected with imx8m mini board.

Q1) Please provide which I2C pins/I2C header should use on SE050 for connection purpose with imx8m board MPU board.

Q2) we modified i2c interface on i2c_a7.c as mentioned above, those changes are enough?  Any DTS changes are required for i2c node?

Q3) Is SE050 module slave address is 0x48? Any i2c bus, SE050 is connected on 0x48 slave address? slave addr is mentioned in i2c_a7.c as shown below fig.

mallikarjuna_0-1713269917333.png

Please help us, how to test with SE050 on imx8m_mini target board with all required connections and changes.

Thanks,

Mallikarjuna Reddy.

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

Please kindly refer to the following snapshot for details regarding J1004

Kan_Li_0-1713430983676.png

and yes, 0x48 is always the default address for se05x, no other changes needed.

You may firstly use the i2cdetect command to check the hardware connection and then build the MW on IMX8M_MINI MPU Board to test se050 with the demos out of building.

Please kindly let me know if there are any further questions.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos
mallikarjuna
Contributor I

Hi @Kan_Li ,

I have used J1004 I2C_CN header to connect with SE050 module as shown below. 

mallikarjuna_1-1713439412164.jpeg

Pin connections:-

VDD 3V: - 4th Pin of J8 header of SE050 module with 1st pin of J1004 on IMX8M_MINI MPU.

GND: - 7th Pin of J8 header of SE050 module with 7th pin of J1004 on IMX8M_MINI MPU. 

SDA: - 9th Pin of J2 header of SE050 module with 3rd pin of J1004 on IMX8M_MINI MPU. 

SCL: - 10th Pin of J2 header of SE050 module with 5th pin of J1004 on IMX8M_MINI MPU.

I modified SE05x source code in simw-top\hostlib\hostLib\platform\linux\i2c_a7.c file i2c interface as  default_axSmDevice_name = "/dev/i2c-2" as we are using i2c3 (J1004 I2C_CN) which is configured as /dev/i2c-2 on target board and build image.

I tried to detect SE050 module on i2c bus 2 using command "i2cdetect -y -r 2" but i'm not able to detect SE05x module on i2c-2 bus.

Q1) which i2c pins of SE050 module should use to connect with IMX8M_MINI MPU??

Please provide your inputs here to debug these and inform me if I am missing anything? 

Thanks,

Mallikarjuna Reddy

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

I believe pin3 of J1004 is SCL and pin5 of J1004 is SDA indeed, please make sure you connect them to the same signals on SE050ARD board.

Kan_Li_0-1713752424445.png

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos
mallikarjuna
Contributor I

Hi @Kan_Li 

On target board, we know which pins should use, but my question is which I2C pins of SE05x should use?

please find attached images for SE05x hardware pins overview, In that 4-5 I2C related pins are available.

Have you ever tested SE05x module on IMX8M_MINI MPU target board?  

Q1) which I2C pins of SE05x should use to connect with IMX8M_MINI MPU ?

mallikarjuna_0-1713849382711.pngmallikarjuna_1-1713849395384.jpeg

Thanks,
Mallikarjuna Reddy Ambati

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @mallikarjuna ,

Yes, I have played SE050ARD with iMX8M kev board, and double confirmed the connection you made between SE050ARD and IMX8M_MINI MPU target board is correct, the root cause should be on the jumpers configurations. Please kindly pay attention to the following two jumpers:

Kan_Li_0-1713861387959.png

J6 should be 1-2 shorten as well as J14.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos