What configuration is required to run CAN communication on two S32K144 EVBs using FLEXCAN?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What configuration is required to run CAN communication on two S32K144 EVBs using FLEXCAN?

Jump to solution
PowerLine5566
Contributor I

I've been searching for answers for my recent problem about running CAN communication on two S32K144 EVB board.

First of all, I've collected different information from many resources and still couldn't process, hence I need assistant to clarify them.

1. I looked into online document of S32K144, under the chapter of "Examples and Demos" -> "Demo Applications" -> "FLEXCAN Encrypted". In "Hardware Wiring" section, it mentions a CAN transceiver is included on an EVB board, followed by description talking about reset and configuration. Does it mean that CAN transceiver can be configured to different modes? Under what circumstances would I do that?

2. Is the phrase "pin RSTN from SBC is held LOW" meaning I should press the button next to J13 which labeled "SBC_IO" on an EVB board?

2. How do I confirm whether a reset of CAN Transceiver is success or not?

3. Many answers mentioned that in order to make FLEXCAN run on S32K144 EVB(say the example project - FLEXCAN Encrypted), an external 12V power adapter is required. Is there by any chance, to use USB 5V power supply to make it work? If yes, what conditions must fulfilled?

4. If I use 5V USB power supply and try to run FLEXCAN Encrypted example on two EVB boards to make them communicate, what consequences or phenomenon will I see?

5. In case I miss any detail, is it correct if I get a 12V power adapter, all I have to do is jump J107 from 2-3(USB 5V) to 1-2, then plug in the power source to J16 and everything goes well, no other configuration has to be done?

6. Why a master and a slave role (preprocessor define) is needed for two S32K144 EVBs to communicate through FLEXCAN? If I am not wrong, there is no such design in CAN.....maybe? 

7. What will happen if I configure two EVBs both as master or slave and try to let them communicate?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Senlent
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi@PowerLine5566

1. Your first three questions are all about UJA116X. This transceiver enables CAN transceiver function by default, so you don’t need to perform any operations on it.
2. You can get the current status of UJA116X by reading the internal register value of UJA116X. As I answered above, you don’t need to do any operation on it. Mode CAN is working normally.
3. A 12V external power supply must be used, otherwise the CAN transceiver will not work.
4. It can be debugged normally, but no frame of CAN will be received or sent successfully.
5.Yes
6&7. Yes, CAN is a broadcast transmission method. There is no master-slave. Here we just distinguish different nodes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Senlent
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi@PowerLine5566

1. Your first three questions are all about UJA116X. This transceiver enables CAN transceiver function by default, so you don’t need to perform any operations on it.
2. You can get the current status of UJA116X by reading the internal register value of UJA116X. As I answered above, you don’t need to do any operation on it. Mode CAN is working normally.
3. A 12V external power supply must be used, otherwise the CAN transceiver will not work.
4. It can be debugged normally, but no frame of CAN will be received or sent successfully.
5.Yes
6&7. Yes, CAN is a broadcast transmission method. There is no master-slave. Here we just distinguish different nodes.

0 Kudos