Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32k3xx : Query on Embedded Flash Memory Blocks

Jump to solution
varunbharti
Contributor I

Hi,

I wanted to inquire about the inclusion of separate Data Flash Memory alongside Code Flash Memory in the S32K3xx microcontrollers.

Could you kindly provide some insights into why separate Data Flash memory is required in the design choice?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The most typical way for using of DFLASH is EEPROM emulation. DFlash use always smallest block with highest endurance, sometimes reaction to ECC failure is handled differently than with code flash. That’s why it is well suited for running EEPROM emulation driver above this memory space. Otherwise it just may be used for storing non-volatile data (in comparison to code flash, it has higher endurance, but lower data retention).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The most typical way for using of DFLASH is EEPROM emulation. DFlash use always smallest block with highest endurance, sometimes reaction to ECC failure is handled differently than with code flash. That’s why it is well suited for running EEPROM emulation driver above this memory space. Otherwise it just may be used for storing non-volatile data (in comparison to code flash, it has higher endurance, but lower data retention).

0 Kudos
varunbharti
Contributor I

Hi  @davidtosenovjan ,

Thank you again for your response, 

Can you please share a sample code on how to use DFLASH to emulate EEPROM?

Can we do byte-wise write and erase in DFLASH?

0 Kudos
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

According configuration lower data granularity is 4 bytes.

EEPROM emulation drivers that are part of RTD driver package (FEE driver):

https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/software/automotive-software-and-tools/real-time-drivers-rt...

An example for this is called Fee_Example_S32K3..

varunbharti
Contributor I
Thankyou!!!
0 Kudos
varunbharti
Contributor I
Thankyou for your quick response
0 Kudos