S32K344 UART1 Issue: No Data Transmission or Reception

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K344 UART1 Issue: No Data Transmission or Reception

aadyaa
Contributor II

I am currently facing an issue with UART1 on the S32K344 microcontroller. Despite proper configuration and pin connections, I am unable to send or receive any data using UART1. On the other hand, UART3 with DMA is functioning correctly.

Here are the specific details of my setup:

• Microcontroller: S32K344
  • UART1 pins:
    • PTA18 (UART1_TX)
    • PTA19 (UART1_RX)

To aid in troubleshooting, I have attached snapshots of the UART3 and UART1 configurations. Additionally, I have included an example code base for your reference.

I am reaching out to the knowledgeable members of the NXP community to seek guidance and insights into this issue. If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has expertise in working with UART1 on the S32K344 microcontroller, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

If there are any specific code snippets, configurations, or additional information that you require for further analysis, please let me know, and I will gladly provide them.

Thank you in advance for your support and valuable input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi 

Seems that you forget configure Platform->Generic Interrupt Settings and Interrupt Controller:

Platform Generic Interrupt Settings DMATCD2_IRQn DMATCD3_IRQn.pngPlatform Interrupt Controller DMATCD2_IRQn DMATCD3_IRQn.png

Additionally, check the schematic corresponding to your development board to make sure the pins are connected correctly.

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aadyaa
Contributor II

@Robin_Shen I recently discovered that I missed an important setting in my platform configuration, and I want to thank you for pointing it out. Despite making changes to the Generic interrupt settings and interrupt controller as suggested, I am still unable to observe any data transmission or reception on UART1.

For my testing, I am using the S32K3X4EVB-T172 board. I noticed that the PTA18 pin is marked as '0'. Could this indicate that the PTA18 pin is DNP (Do Not Populate)? I have attached an image snapshot for your reference.

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I am able to observe a waveform close to 115200 at J3.8 pin of S32K3X4EVB-T172 by oscilloscope . But because PTA18 connects R2179 and C3897 with FS26_AMUX, the UART waveform quality is very bad.
If you must use S32K3X4EVB-T172, it is recommended to select other LPUART1_TX pin.

aadyaa
Contributor II

I wanted to provide an update regarding the issue with UART1 on the S32K3X4EVB-T172 Evaluation board. After further investigation, I believe the problem lies with the default connection of PTA18 with FS26_AMUX.

To confirm this assumption, I decided to reroute UART1 to alternative pins. By connecting UART1 to PTC9 (UART1_TX) and PTC8 (UART1_RX) with the same UART1 configuration, I am delighted to report that I can successfully observe data on the UART1 line.

This experiment strongly suggests that the connection between PTA18 and FS26_AMUX was causing the previous issue with UART1.

I would like to express my gratitude for your guidance and support throughout this troubleshooting process. If you have any additional insights or suggestions regarding the PTA18 and FS26_AMUX conflict or any other related matters, please let me know.

0 Kudos