Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current state of RTD 3.0 vs. RTD 4.0 + BMS SDK/FreeRTOS for RTD 4.0

Jump to solution
AndreasStolze
Contributor III

Hi all,

we're currently starting a new project. The current version of the RTD is 4.0, it's also quite active under development, at least I'm getting a couple of notifications regularly.

However, when looking at the BMS SDK (S32K3 BMS SDK 1.0.2), it only supports RTD 3.0, at least when looking at the dependencies during S32DS install. (This also applies to FreeRTOS)

AndreasStolze_0-1712070300981.png

So what's best for starting a new project now?

How is the bugfixing on the RTD 3.0?
For example, in 3.0 and 4.0, the file "IntCtrl_Ip_Cfg.h" is missing "extern C {" declaration. When reporting this bug (how?), would this also be also fixed in 3.0?

Thank you
Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

A1. I remember that in S32DS v3.5, only one version of S32K3 RTD can be installed at the same time. I am not sure why no error is reported when you install RTD3.0.0 first and then RTD4.0.0. If that works, how about you install S32K3 RTD 3.0.0+4.0.0 as you did before? Because I don’t know yet when S32K3 BMS SDK based on S32K3 RTD 4.0.0 will be released

A2. Search keyword "BMS" at https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/search Will you see S32K3 BMS SDK?

Or search keyword "BMS" in Design Center / Software / Software Library, will you see the Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software?

Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software.png

Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software Product Information.png

A3. Via a post in the S32K forum here in the community or via Support Tickets.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Andreas,

Do you mean the HVBMS-RD 400V download from Automotive Software Package Manager?  The latest version was released on 2024.01. (S32K3 BMS SDK 1.0.2) SW32K344_HVBMS-RD_Bring-up_Example_S32DS_1_0_2_ReleaseNotes.txt mentions that it is based on SW32K3_RTD_4.4_R21-11_3.0.0_D2303.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Usually new versions of RTD will fix bugs found in previous versions. If you need a specific bug fix, please tell me the ID mentioned in the Change List of the release note, so that I can check whether it can be fixed on RTD 3.0.0. Or it may be fixed after using a new version such as RTD 4.0.0.

Let me consult the BMS team to check when the S32K3 BMS SDK based on S32K3 RTD 4.0.0 will be released.

Best Regards,
Robin

0 Kudos
AndreasStolze
Contributor III

Hi @Robin_Shen 

thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know that the BMS SDK is for 3.0.0. However, when start a new project, I would expect that starting with 4.0.0 would be advisable.
It seems, that it is compatible after all. At least I unknowingly already used with 4.0.0, as I upgraded an existing S32DS installation from 3.0.0 to 4.0.0. The official incompatibility was recently made aware to me when installing a fresh S32DS with 4.0.0, which then does not allow installation of the SDK.

Also, you make another great point: You're right, in fact the only source of the BMS SDK right now is to download the bring-up software. I cannot find the BMS SDK for example as a SW design resource on the product page.
So is there a "more official" way to download the BMS SDK? Maybe via flexnet, so I'm also notified of updates provided?

Regarding the bug: This is a bug I've recently found. It's not fixed in 4.0.0 yet.
What's the best approach to report these bugs? Via a post in the S32K forum here in the community?

Thank you
Andreas

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

A1. I remember that in S32DS v3.5, only one version of S32K3 RTD can be installed at the same time. I am not sure why no error is reported when you install RTD3.0.0 first and then RTD4.0.0. If that works, how about you install S32K3 RTD 3.0.0+4.0.0 as you did before? Because I don’t know yet when S32K3 BMS SDK based on S32K3 RTD 4.0.0 will be released

A2. Search keyword "BMS" at https://nxp.flexnetoperations.com/control/frse/search Will you see S32K3 BMS SDK?

Or search keyword "BMS" in Design Center / Software / Software Library, will you see the Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software?

Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software.png

Automotive SW - HV-BMS Reference Kit Software Product Information.png

A3. Via a post in the S32K forum here in the community or via Support Tickets.

0 Kudos
AndreasStolze
Contributor III

Thanks again for the reply @Robin_Shen .

A1. Yes, I can do the 3.0, 4.0 shuffle. However, it's a bit weird to do this for safety relevant packages. Can you confirm, that there will be a BMS SDK version for RTD 4.0 this year (2024)? If so, for development we sure can do the shuffle.

A2. Thanks for the hint, this worked. I didn't think of this myself unfortunately, normally I go to flexnet via the product pages.

A3. Thanks, will do!

BR
Andreas

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There might be a switch in Oct, or Nov that is the plan.

0 Kudos
AndreasStolze
Contributor III
Thanks for the update.
0 Kudos