Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32g274ardb2-GOLDVIP. Necessary feature

Jump to solution
irfank
Contributor III

Hello,

There are some required features and optional features under fsl-goldvip.conf.   Can i deleted required features. Can you explain one-by-one why do i need required features?

Required features are : 

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " pfe"
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " xen"
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " bridge_utils"
XEN_EXAMPLE = "xen-examples-goldvip"

Also, There are 2 extra layers, meta-java and meta-aws. What is the purpose of these layers?

Also, can you explain what is the purpose of optional feature, required feature and meta-java and meta-aws. What is the relationship between them?
if i want to use ONLY fota feature. Can i delete meta-java, meta-aws, and required feature, then can i add only " goldvip-ota". Is it enough? 
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MayanksPatel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @irfank,

PFE is the hardware accelerator for incoming and outgoing frames through ethernet and can.

It is fine you can skip this for the OTA feature.

Xen is a hypervisor that helps to create virtualization of board resources and by default added support in the GOLD VIP release. Need to check whether goldvip-ota is using virtualization or not. 

There was an Xen hypervisor sample example provided with the release. 

meta-java and meta-aws layers you need to keep because, for the OTA feature, you will be required those. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mayank s Patel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MayanksPatel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @irfank,

PFE is the hardware accelerator for incoming and outgoing frames through ethernet and can.

It is fine you can skip this for the OTA feature.

Xen is a hypervisor that helps to create virtualization of board resources and by default added support in the GOLD VIP release. Need to check whether goldvip-ota is using virtualization or not. 

There was an Xen hypervisor sample example provided with the release. 

meta-java and meta-aws layers you need to keep because, for the OTA feature, you will be required those. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mayank s Patel

irfank
Contributor III

Hello @MayanksPatel 

When we removed optional feature, the size is still more than 3GB and there are lots of unused packages inside our images.

Also we removed both all optional feature and all required feature, the size of image is 2.5GB-3GB and there are lots of unused packages inside our images.

Below are my options What is your suggestion when we want to add some feature? 

1)Modify goldvip source code depends on our board(Remove unused optional packages)Disadvantage the size of image is around 2.5GB, there are lots of unused packages

2) Extract the feature which we want to use and add it to our source code. Disadvantage it is compicated.

Regards

0 Kudos
MayanksPatel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @irfank,

We understand that there are lots of packages inside the GOLDVIP BSP release and we provided support for that packages in demand from customers.

We suggest you that, list down packages that you think are unnecessary by analyzing your project requirement and proceed to remove those from the yocto project.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Mayank s Patel

0 Kudos