cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting CAN Bit Timing parameters

thecoder
Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to implement the following CAN bit timing specification on TWRS12G240 which has a MC9S12G240 microcontroller, the tower is using TI SN65HVD1040 transceiver.

Parameter

Value

Baudrate

500 kBaud ± 0.1%

Bit Time

2 μs

Number of Time Quanta per Bit-time

SJW (Time Quanta)*

SAMPLE Point (% of Bit Time)*

75%

Sampling mode

Single

Resynchronization

recessive to dominant

Bus length

The maximum bus length allowed is 20 meters. Twisted wires shall be used for the CAN bus

and the maximum specific line delay of the wire shall be 5 ns/m.

Transceiver Delay

Maximum allowed transceiver loop delay (Tx to Rx delay) for both dominant bit to recessive bit

and recessive bit to dominant bit is 300ns

Oscillator Tolerance

The maximum allowed oscillator tolerance of CAN source clock is ± 0.1%.

I am using PLL as can bus clock and pll is being generated thorugh on board 8 Mhz crystal. If I input 32 Mhz as CAN bus clock then every parameter is matched except oscillator tolerance which comes out to be 1.21%. Now my question, can the above bit timing parameters can be realized with different bus clock value because  I am unable to come up with any combination of prescaler and bit time and time quanta. Since bit time and time quanta per bit time is fixed there is little left that could be done.

According to my calculations

Prescaler comes out as 4

Tq =  32Mhz/4= 8 Mhz= 125ns.

Prop delay of bus= 20 * 5/1000000000=100ns

prop_seg= 2 *( propagation delay of transciever+ prop delay of bus)=2(230+100)=660

=660/125=5.28=5

phase_seg1=5

Phase_seg2=5

RJW =4

delta f=4/20*10=0.0125

delta f <min(phase_Seg1,phase_seg2)/2(13*NBT-phase_seg2)

=5/2*(13*16-5)=0.0123=1.23%

Labels (1)
5 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you use PLL as clock for CAN, it will work in most of the cases. Unfortunately there is issue in lock(0..1.5%) and unlock(0.5..2.5%) range of PLL. On base of that you don’t have any guarantee that PLL clock is enough accurate.

Therefore I cannot recommend PLL clock for CAN module.

In attachment you can find simple calculator for CAN timing.

I hope that help you.

grzegorzK
Contributor III

Thank you.

I will study this information.

0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV

CAN is somwhat picky with bit bit timing. Generally, they said in the first CAN drafts that an oscillator tolerance of 1.58% was the worst case, so I you should aim to get below that at least (I'm not sure what the ISO 11898 says). If your application relies and revolves around CAN, you should consider picking an oscillator based on the CAN baudrates you want to use. Though note that if you fiddle around with the number of tq/bit and the SJW, you might get a more accurate location of the sample point.

As for the spec on where to place the sample point etc, I would strongly recommend to follow the CANopen standard DS301, chapter 5.4. I believe you can download the standard for free if you register at CAN-In-Automation, www.can-cia.de. .The bit timing there is pretty much industry standard for all CAN applications. Don't follow timing specs from Freescale manuals/app notes, they are pretty obscure and non-standard. Avoid them in particular if you are implementing any of the mainstream CAN protocols like CANopen, DeviceNet or J1939.

For convenience, this is what DS301 says about 500kbps:

Valid range for location of sample point: 85% to 90%

Recommended location of sample point: 87.5%

Estimated bus length (based on sample point recommendations): 100m.

In my projects with 8MHz-ish oscillators, for MSCAN and FlexCAN both, I use the following ideal setup for 500kbps with 87,5% sample point:

16tq where:

1=sync,

13=pre sample,

2=post sample,

SJW=2. 

0 Kudos

grzegorzK
Contributor III

Hi

Daniel:

1. Do you use Processor Expert in order to set such CAN parameters?

I would like to set similar settings, but documentation how sample point is calculated using settings from Processor Expert is not clear for me.

2. SJW=2 is recommended? what standard?

I found recommendation it should be large, 3 or 4 is possible.

Best Regards

/Greg

0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV

1. No.

2. I'm not sure if there is a standard for the SJW. The above was my personal recommendation, based on my experience of developing various CAN drivers for Freescale MSCAN and FlexCAN, then use those drivers at the bottom of various industry standard field bus protocol stacks.

The SJW is as large as possible in my recommendation too. It boils down to that the SJW must be of less or equal length as the post sample ("phase segment"). And if you want the sample point as close to 87.5% as possible, there's not a lot of options for the post sample, meaning there's not a lot of options for the SJW either. For the highest baudrates 1000kbps or 800kbps you can perhaps make it 3 or 4.

0 Kudos