cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Monitor Communication Problem

HarryHirn
Contributor I

Hi,

i got problems finding the right informations to get this to work...

What i want:

Creating an oppurtunity to update my firmware in application without a debugger/programmer.

Therefore i wanted to use the Serial Monitor from AN2548 and HCS12_SERIALMON.zip

My Device is a 9S12DP512 and im working with CW 4.7

I opened the CW project from the zip, selected the Dx512 and flashed it to my device.

Now when i power it up and use a terminal program i am getting no reactions.

Opening a new project, selecting Serial Monitor as Target and trying to debug the project it reports that a connection could not be established.

I enabled the "Serial Monitor Support" in the build options. That reports an address error because the memory is used by another bean (segment 3). After shortening segment 3 this problem is gone but still no connection to the Controller.

I am using an FTDI FT232BL Chip which is only connected with RxD and TxD. Does the Serial Monitor solution need another pin of the serial port?

Is the Serial Monitor project suitable for my controller?

THX

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

mculater
Contributor III

Only RXD and TXD pins are needed from the serial port, but you must choose one port pin to pull low at reset in order to activate the serial monitor.  This selection, the target device selection, clock speed, etc. are implemented by editing the .DFN file that is part of the serial monitor ZIPfile.

Best regards,

Carl Barnes

Check out Esduino12, a 9S12-based Arduino-compatible:

www.TechnologicalArts.com

0 Kudos

supermandu
Contributor I
When HCS12 serial monitor program is used to program the flash,after the
user's code is changed, An error is reported when load the S19 file into
the MC9S12DP512,
"Error writing to adress1...adress2 , Information:No memory at this address"
If load the code befor the user has changed,there is no such error.
0 Kudos

HarryHirn
Contributor I

Hi,

i finally got it to work...

Several configuration in the files must be done to get it running...

First the cpu clock and divider has to be set up correctly to result in 24kHz PLL. My clock with 12 MHz wasn preset but with a bit calculation no problem.

After flashing a main user application you need a pull low switch/button for booting into the monitor, thats right.

But after it didn't work for me i figured out that i have chosen the PortP Pin7, which is defined wrong in the downloadable code from this site. The pin masks for P7 and P6 are wrong, so maybe one should change that...

Finally i got a new question :smileyhappy:

If i flash the new firmware via serial monitor it works fine, but if i flash the user application via cyclone pro the monitor is gone... do i have to setup starting address of the firmware write and if, where?

Greetings

0 Kudos