MC9S12X unexpected shutdown after continuous UDS service request

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S12X unexpected shutdown after continuous UDS service request

DonQuixoote
Contributor I

I got a strange but could be easilly replicated issue on MC9S12X.

We are working on a case in which our ECU is continuous processing some kind of data acquisition request from a diagnostic tool. MCU would be shut down unexpectedly and failed to reboot in a non-certain period (mins to hours) with LDO module working and related voltages (VCC and VDD) still remaining 5V. A standard 40us voltage drop-off on MCU reset pin could be observed with oscillator before this happened. When I attached debugger to to MCU at this time, I saw the PC pointer would always point to several same addresses (0x0003 and 0xFF12 as I noticed), and the COPCTL registor value became 0 instead of 0x47, which stands for a normal mode internal WDT with frequence set to 2^24. A manual STG on reset pin would solve this problem.

In my understanding, if we failed to clear the WDT timer (set ARMCOP = 0x55 and 0xAA as stated in datasheet), MCU would go to a predefined address in vector table (0xFFFE) then get itself rebooted, and I tried to set ARMCOP to other values in my code to check if internal WDT is enabled. It turne out MCU could be reset normally this way. 

This issue have been confusing me for a while. I would appreciate if there is anyone who can help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

kef2
Senior Contributor V
  • if we failed to clear the WDT timer (set ARMCOP = 0x55 and 0xAA as stated in datasheet), MCU would go to a predefined address in vector table (0xFFFE) then get itself rebooted, and I tried to set ARMCOP to other values in my code to check if internal WDT is enabled. It turne out MCU could be reset normally this way. 

COP on S12(X) has dedicated reset vector, not FFFE, but FFFA. Unless you do serious mistake and attach too big capacitor on /RESET pin, or perhaps using push-button reset chip, which could sense /RESET pulled low by CPU and extend /RESET low pulse, fooling this way MPU to not distinguish any more internal reset sources with external one, then yes, MCU would take reset vector at FFFE, no matter what causes reset.

The sequence of such reset is not like you write, please study documentation. In shot MCU is reset, including all (if not the most) of registers, then on reset specific reset vector is taken and CPU jumps to it.

•  When I attached debugger to to MCU at this time, I saw the PC pointer would always point to several same addresses (0x0003 and 0xFF12 as I noticed), and the COPCTL registor value became 0 instead of 0x47

Debugger could fool you. First of all, on reset breakpoints and the rest of debug HW is reset as well, so you shouldn't expect any breakpoint hit. If you simply click connect in debugger (assuming you don't allow it to reupload code), usually it resets CPU again into normal single chip mode, so you shouldn't expect and meaningful register state, reflecting what went wrong. To connect without reset, you should use, eh, IIRC CodeWarrior debugger calls it Hotplug, which wouldn't reset target and try to BDM connect without mode change. 

Unlike CME and COP reset, which can be distinguished by vector taken (don't forget to remove cap on /RESET etc), other reset sources, ILAD, LVR, POR can be distinguished reading bits in CRGFLG. 

0 Kudos

lama
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Hard to answer. Some hints.

If you use COP be sure that each loop processes 0x55, 0xAA sequence.

There is an example XEP100-CRG-COP-CW47.ZIP at https://community.nxp.com/t5/S12-MagniV-Microcontrollers/LAMA-s-S12XE-unofficial-examples/ta-p/11007...

I would suggest to rad comment in the main.c file carefully.

Create a interrupt catcher to check whether some interrupt is not initialized but launched without service routine.

An example…

https://community.nxp.com/t5/S12-MagniV-Microcontrollers/S12X-Interrupt-catcher-catch-all-unexpected...

I have not checked whether it is related to XE but principle is ok.

Check stack, it is usually done by filling stack (allocated size in the prm file) with FF (you can allocate special space for stack and fill it with FILL command if you use CodeWarrior) and checking how deep I go into it. There is no special function how to check it so the method is up to you.

If the stack is located above RAM data then it can destroy them if underflows. If the stack is put to the bpttom of the RAM then it can underflow out of RAM space

Best regards,

Ladislav

0 Kudos