Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCS12XE XGATE Core 3?

Jump to solution
gnaws
Contributor II

Hallo all,

I'm new to the HCS12XE processor, and have been messing around with it's XGATE capabilities recently.

In some of the code I downloaded, I see comments that are difficult to understand; e.g:

/* Two stacks in XGATE core3 */

#pragma DATA_SEG XGATE_STK_L

word XGATE_STACK_L[1];

#pragma DATA_SEG XGATE_STK_H

word XGATE_STACK_H[1];

/* when changing your derivative to non-core3 one please remove next five lines */ 

XGISPSEL= 1;

XGISP31= (unsigned int)(void*__far)(XGATE_STACK_L + 1);

XGISPSEL= 2;

XGISP74= (unsigned int)(void*__far)(XGATE_STACK_H + 1);

XGISPSEL= 0;

I've looked around in some documentation, but couldn't understand what the technical term "Core 3" means, and I don't completely understand what these lines of code are needed for.

Any help here, or explanation, would be quite useful

Thanks in advance for your time!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
HSW
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are two versions of the XGATE:

• The S12XGATEV2 (terminology of the reference manual), which is available on the S12XA, S12XB, and S12XD families
  • The S12XGATEV3, which is built into the S12XE family.

The main difference between these versions is, that the S12XGATEV3 has two separate register banks (incl. R1-R7,  CCR, PC) for interruptable thread execution. This means that you also have two stack pointers (one for high and one for low priority threads) and therefore two stacks allocated in RAM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HSW
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are two versions of the XGATE:

• The S12XGATEV2 (terminology of the reference manual), which is available on the S12XA, S12XB, and S12XD families
  • The S12XGATEV3, which is built into the S12XE family.

The main difference between these versions is, that the S12XGATEV3 has two separate register banks (incl. R1-R7,  CCR, PC) for interruptable thread execution. This means that you also have two stack pointers (one for high and one for low priority threads) and therefore two stacks allocated in RAM.

0 Kudos
gnaws
Contributor II

Thanks, I understand a little better now :smileyhappy: