Freescale MC9S12XEP100 - trying to find out some info about it

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale MC9S12XEP100 - trying to find out some info about it

MircoNewbie
Contributor I
recently i am learnning about the mircocontorller... and this is my first datasheet i even read...i am trying to find out some information from the datasheet of MC9S12XEP100...but 1400 pages of datasheet (compare with 300 pages)  for single microcontorller and the difference terms used in questions and datasheet really upset me =(
is there anybody know MC9S12XEP100 well or very good in datasheet reading could spend some time annswer me a few questions about MC9S12XEP100 that can be found in datasheet and share some experience on reading datasheet more effectively?

1.What is the maximum clock frequency that the microcontroller supports?
3.What is the addressable cell size of the memories?
4.How many bits wide is/are the address buses?
5.Does the microcontroller have support for external memory? If so, what is the maximum external memory size that can be addressed?
6.How many registers are there? so What is the size and purpose ?
7.What is the size  of the instructions?
8.How many instructions are there in the instruction set?
10.Does the microcontroller's instruction set support 8-bit addition*? 16-bit addition*? 32-bit addition*? What is the size of the largest addition supported*? Is multiplication supported*? What is the size of the largest multiplication supported*? (* = in a single instruction)
11.How many counters and/or timers does the microcontroller have? What sizes are they?
12.How many and what internal and external interrupt sources can the microcontroller service?
13.How many general-purpose (i.e. programmable) I/O ports does the microcontroller have? How many bits wide are they? Are they inputs/outputs or bidirectional?

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/data_sheet/MC9S12XEP100.pdf
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Steve
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
MircoNewbie, Alban has answered all your specific questions but if you want to extract the information yourself, here are some pointers that will help:

Chapter 1 describes the overall function of the chip. It contains memory maps which show the on-chip and off-chipmemory and a block diagram which shows the features of the chip. If you are interested in a specific feature like a timer look at the block diagram and see what timers there are.
Appendix A contains the electrical specification of the part and that is where you will find operating frequencies etc
The remaining chapters give full details of the modules of the chip. You need to read these to understand how to use them.
You are asking a lot of questions about the CPU. The S12XE has two CPUs. One is described in the data book and is called XGATE - look in this chapter to find out about its instruction set and programmers model. The other CPU is described in a separate book called the S12X CPU reference manual.

If you are new to this device I strongly recommend that you read some supporting material from this website. There are short documents called product briefs that give introductory information about the products. There are application notes that describe features of the architecture and how to use the part. You can find all of these documents by searching for S12X on this web site or by looking at the product pages for the S12XE.
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

This product is dual core and with a lot of features.

1.What is the maximum clock frequency that the microcontroller supports?
50 MHz for the CPU12X which means the co-processor runs at 100MHz.

3.What is the addressable cell size of the memories?
One byte, one word. This is a 16-bit machine.

4.How many bits wide is/are the address buses?
23-bits

5.Does the microcontroller have support for external memory? If so, what is the maximum external memory size that can be addressed?
Yes. Total memory space is 8MB

6.How many registers are there? so What is the size and purpose ?
Many. configure modules are read results.

7.What is the size  of the instructions?
variable. from one byte to about 4, I think. Depends on addressing mode and operands

8.How many instructions are there in the instruction set?
never counted.

10.Does the microcontroller's instruction set support 8-bit addition*?
Yes
16-bit addition*?
Yes
32-bit addition*?
No What is the size of the largest addition supported*? Is multiplication supported*? What is the size of the largest multiplication supported*? (* = in a single instruction)
This is a 16-bit machine

11.How many counters and/or timers does the microcontroller have? What sizes are they?
Depends on derivative. 16-bit counters, with clock prescalers to achieve what is needed.

12.How many and what internal and external interrupt sources can the microcontroller service?
Too many to list here.

13.How many general-purpose (i.e. programmable) I/O ports does the microcontroller have?
Depends on derivative and package size.

How many bits wide are they?
Don't get that question. Thye all have at least one bit.

Are they inputs/outputs or bidirectional?
Both.

Regards,
Alban.
0 Kudos