cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet interface for S12XDP512 processor

adrianS
Contributor I

Hi,

I want to add an Ethernet interface to the S12XDP512 processor.

I know that NE64 already has an Ethernet interface, but I have this S12XDP512 processor, I need to add the Ethernet interface to that processor as a university project (if it is possible to do that).

I have a ZK-S12-A Starter Kit (from SofTec) for Freescale HCS12(X) Family as development board.

I also want to say that I'm new to this kind of processor.

While researching I found these chips: ENC28J60 (has SPI port), CS8900A from Crystal LAN, LAN91C111 from SMSC to be the most appropriate. If you can recommend me one of these or other chips or have any suggestion that might help me please leave me a message.

Anyhow, my questions is:

1 What chip is suitable to use with my processor?

2 On which port is the simplest to connect to?  

3 What implementation of the TCP/IP Stack I should chose (I suppose that TCP/IP Stack should be implemented on the Ethernet chip that I will use)?

Thank you all for any help you may provide,

Adrian.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

allawtterb
Contributor IV

adrianS wrote:

What implementation of the TCP/IP Stack I should chose (I suppose that TCP/IP Stack should be implemented on the Ethernet chip that I will use)?

These chips only provide the PHY and MAC interface, if you wish to use TCP/IP the stack for this will have to be on your S12X. 
0 Kudos

adrianS
Contributor I

allawtterb wrote:

These chips only provide the PHY and MAC interface, if you wish to use TCP/IP the stack for this will have to be on your S12X.

Thank you allawtterb for your reply.

That is ok for me to have the implementation of the TCP/IP stack on my S12X, and I was hopping to be so.

Adrian.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
This is what I would do.
The complete boards for those chips are in the 30-40USD range.
And there is not stack fully ported to your chip. There are freeware ones available, but you will have to spent time getting them correctly ported.

'mouser' has the : M52233DEMO on sale for 49.00.
This is a coldfire board, that comes with a stack AND utasker supports it as will.

The board has a build in debug interface, and works fine with free code warrior.
All you would have to do is add a SPI/SCI or some other interface to send/receive data.
This is something you would have to figure out anyway, and this way you control both sides of the link.
Since it is a school project, I would assume it is a one off.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2008-03-17 01:39 PM
0 Kudos

adrianS
Contributor I
Thank you JimDon for your reply.

JimDon wrote:

'mouser' has the : M52233DEMO on sale for 49.00.
This is a coldfire board, that comes with a stack AND utasker supports it as will.
Since it is a school project, I would assume it is a one off.

Yes, I saw that development kit, but that does not work for me, since it is a school project I need to use only the specified processor.

Adrian.
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I did not mean do not use the S12X.
You would still use the S12 as you main application processor.

I mean use this board as a peripheral, just as you would be doing with the other mentioned chips, which I presume you will be buying as a board with the interface to the Ethernet "wires" already on it.

The difference being that the entire TCP stack would be encapsulated in the peripheral,  as apposed to having only the MAC layer. You will also get then benefit of much more buffering, at a very small cost.

It would be much quicker to already have a working stack.

0 Kudos

adrianS
Contributor I

JimDon wrote:

I did not mean do not use the S12X.
You would still use the S12 as you main application processor.

I mean use this board as a peripheral, just as you would be doing with the other mentioned chips, which I presume you will be buying as a board with the interface to the Ethernet "wires" already on it.

The difference being that the entire TCP stack would be encapsulated in the peripheral,  as apposed to having only the MAC layer. You will also get then benefit of much more buffering, at a very small cost.

It would be much quicker to already have a working stack.

Ok, now I got your point. Because for me, the project specification was clear, I didn't think at this possibility.

The specification was to build a Ethernet interface for my S12X processor from scratch because we already have the processor and is not practical to have another processor used only for Ethernet interface, so I should only add the necessary components to my S12X to get an Ethernet interface.

My idea was to build the Ethernet interface myself (to obtain something like NE64).

But you have right. If I will buy a board with Ethernet interface on it, the M52233DEMO (coldfire board) is the right choice.

For now, I will chose/try the ENC28J60 chip because it have SPI interface that could be easily interfaced with my S12X. I will try to build the Ethernet interface with it and if I will not succeeded, then maybe my project specification will change and probably I will use your advice.

Thank you for your time

Adrian

0 Kudos