Booting Self contained binary (Not kernel) from u-boot?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting Self contained binary (Not kernel) from u-boot?

veerendranathj
Contributor III

I want to boot T1024RDB with a self contained binary(like linux, can run independently ) from u-boot.. (Note: we should not remove u-boot as per requirement). Can we develop such kind of binaries using SDK1.8. There is "standalone binary" concept in u-boot but it will run on top u-boot...

Basically I should have direct hardware control and fixed memory map from my binary but I should be able to boot that binary from u-boot.

Thanks and Regards,

Veerendranath

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please refer to the U-Boot manual, U-Boot Standalone Applications:

UBootStandalone < DULG < DENX

0 Kudos

veerendranathj
Contributor III

I have looked into that earlier.... as I mentioned it will work on u-boot.. i.e it will use u-boot environment. But In my case my binary should run independently even though we boot it from u-boot

Ex: like linux krenel

But unlike linux my binary should have fixed/direct memory map(no virtual memory) is it possible to create that kind of binary/kernel from QorIQ SDK1.8?

Thanks and Regards,

Veerendranath

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, you can boot things other than Linux using the bootm command.  See the ePAPR specification for details about the booting mechanism.  The embedded hypervisor that comes with the SDK (and is also available on git.freescale.com) is an example.  The hypervisor is built on top of a component called libos that you can use for developing such standalone programs, if you want.

0 Kudos