How to run two debuggers at once

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run two debuggers at once

MikeM
Contributor III

I have a problem where it would be advantageous to run debuggers on two different devices at the same time. I have two P&E USB Multilink debuggers connected to two separate devices on an common CAN bus. I can run two instances of CodeWarrior but only one debugger at one time even though I can see both debuggers connected to two different USB ports and pick either one. However running one replaces the other so that they can't exist together.

Is it possible to run two debuggers at the same time on the same computer and if so how?

Thanks (I did search for this question)

0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

is this about Eclipse based MCU10? So yes, this is easily possible. One common way is to use the menu Window > New Window (see Go, multiply and detach: Multiple Screens with Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse): this is especially useful if you have a dual monitor system: then you can debug one project in one window while debugging the other in the other main window.

That's my preferred way.

It is possible as well to debug multiple boards/CPU's from one debug session. In that case you will have in the 'Debug' view/window the multiple cores, and you can switch between them.

The key point is that you need to tie the debug session/debug launch configuration to the correct USB Multilink: if you go into the debug settings, there is drop-down in the connection settings for P&E to select the multilink. I usually have a sticker with the USB ID on each multilink device to identify it (so I do not have to remember the number).

Hope this helps.

MikeM
Contributor III

Thanks for your quick reply Erich. Not using Eclipse. I'm using CodeWarrior Development Studio V5.9.0 and I my target boards both have MC9S08DZ32 micros. I do have dual monitors though (the only way to fly) :-) I did discover that I could connect to both debuggers from one session by selecting from the drop down menu you mentioned that shows which USB you are connected to and I can do it that way but man, what a process! I find myself constantly switching back and forth single stepping each. It's too tedious and time consuming. Much rather see 2 separate debug windows.

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos