Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HB2000 USA] Stepper Motor Drive

Jump to solution
JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi team,

a customer is looking for a stepper motor driver with a long production prediction. I have offered them HB200x, however there seems to be no software for the stepper motor. Could you please check the customer requirements and possibly offer them a better solution? If there is some. Please see the description.

DESCRIPTION

My customer at, is looking for a design that will drive a pair of permanent magnet Stepper motors. Current will be specified at 4A.

From the your web site below, it looks you have a selection of H bridge drivers For stepper motors one needs a total of four half H bridges and most of your devices have three half H bridges. Would we use two IC’s, one for each full H bridge.
https://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/motor-and-solenoid-drivers/bldc-h-bridge-stepper:PWRHB...

Or do you typically recommend using FETs and the FET drivers such as the GD3100?

Question 1 : Can you advise on your recommendation for current best solution with longevity for driving 4 AMP Steppers? How many needed per Stepper.

Question 2 : NXP offers many canned software solutions for more complicated motors like BLDC, so you have sample code developed for running steppers that runs on the DSC and RT devices? I realize this is much simpler than BLDC, but the customer would still like a canned starting point. They currently buy off the shelf Stepper Motor drivers that go from SPI input and it drives the stepper, so they are looking for example code to move to driving this themselves.

Question 3 : It looks like you also have a solution of your own integrated motor drivers from the link below. These appear to use older HCS908 cores… Do these devices support long life still? What of these devices you recommend for this 4A solution that would have the longest commitment to being produced? This is a medical customer so are looking for a partner that continues to develop in this space and will have products out for a decade or more…

https://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/motor-and-solenoid-drivers/high-current-motor-control:...

MY ANSWER DESCRIPTION

Question 1 : Can you advise on your recommendation for current best solution with longevity for driving 4 AMP Steppers? How many needed per Stepper.
[A] I would recommend you HB2000 or HB2001. They are in our Product Longevity Program and will be in production minimally till 2031. Our products are market driven and if there will be demand the HB2000 and HB2001 might be in production even after the 2031.
JozefKozon_0-1616138718865.png

You would need one HB200x driver for each unipolar stepper motor. Two HB200x drivers for each bipolar stepper motor. Only difference between these two is in Rds(on) of the integrated MOSFETS. HB2000 Rds(on)=235mOhm, HB2001 Rds(on)=125mOhm.

Question 2 : NXP offers many canned software solutions for more complicated motors like BLDC, so you have sample code developed for running steppers that runs on the DSC and RT devices? I realize this is much simpler than BLDC, but the customer would still like a canned starting point. They currently buy off the shelf Stepper Motor drivers that go from SPI input and it drives the stepper, so they are looking for example code to move to driving this themselves.
[A] I have found a software for the HB200x. You can download it from this link. I would also recommend your customer to purchase FRDM-HB200x-EVM for evaluation of brushed DC motors. Please scroll down at the bottom of the page.
JozefKozon_1-1616138718868.png

Question 3 : It looks like you also have a solution of your own integrated motor drivers from the link below. These appear to use older HCS908 cores… Do these devices support long life still? What of these devices you recommend for this 4A solution that would have the longest commitment to being produced? This is a medical customer so are looking for a partner that continues to develop in this space and will have products out for a decade or more…
[A] The MM908E62x products are in Active stage of life. However they are not in our Product Longevity program, so we cannot guarantee how long they will be in production. For recommended drivers, please refer to the answer 1.

CUSTOMRERS REPLY DESCRIPTION

[A] I have found a software for the HB200x. You can download it from this link. I would also recommend your customer to purchase FRDM-HB200x-EVM for evaluation of brushed DC motors. Please scroll down at the bottom of the page.

Follow up questions: 

The software only shows the low level driver for the hbridge, and not example code for implementing a stepper motor drive.  Are you saying there are no example code for Stepper Motor as a complete example solution.

Finally, this software seems very old and targeted for KDS…   There is nothing that is ported to MCUXpresso?   OK I understand it can be ported, but it no Stepper morot drive example, and the only example code we have for the driver is for 5 year tools, it does not represent a compelling story to the customer.  Its not your fault, but I DO NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS THE BEST WE HAVE TO SUPPORT STEPPERS, or if there is a more current solution, and a full stepper motor driver example?

For example this site has great documentation for other motor solutions, but nothing for Steppers…?

https://www.nxp.com/applications/industrial/aerospace-and-mobile-robotics/motor-drives:MOTOR-DRIVES

JozefKozon_2-1616138905905.png
JozefKozon_3-1616138905943.png

With Best Regards,

Jozef

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
steve_everson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I was able to find references to the MC33932 which is a dual H-Bridge.  I think the MC33HB2001 or MC34HB2001 would be better suited for your application, but you should be able to substitute two single H-Bridges for the dual to achieve the same purpose.  The software drivers in will give you a starting point for developing your own code.  And you may be able to build proof of concept using the evaluation kits.

MVHBRIDGE-PEXPERT: Embedded Component: Medium Voltage H-Bridge 

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/analog-toolbox/embedded-component-medium-voltage-h-bri...

Perhaps this will come closer to your expectations?

Best Regards,

Steve Everson

View solution in original post

1 Reply
steve_everson
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I was able to find references to the MC33932 which is a dual H-Bridge.  I think the MC33HB2001 or MC34HB2001 would be better suited for your application, but you should be able to substitute two single H-Bridges for the dual to achieve the same purpose.  The software drivers in will give you a starting point for developing your own code.  And you may be able to build proof of concept using the evaluation kits.

MVHBRIDGE-PEXPERT: Embedded Component: Medium Voltage H-Bridge 

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/analog-toolbox/embedded-component-medium-voltage-h-bri...

Perhaps this will come closer to your expectations?

Best Regards,

Steve Everson