Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR5510 WDI

Jump to solution
ajnas-c
Contributor I

Hi,

How the watchdog functionality works in the VR5510. Is the watchdog, resets the complete LDOs and BUCKs?

Regards,

Ajnas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ajnas,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

The watchdog is a windowed watchdog. The first part of the window is referred to as the CLOSED window and the second part is referred to as the OPEN window. After a good or a bad watchdog refresh, a new window period starts immediately so that the MCU stays synchronized with the windowed watchdog.

diazmarin09_1-1673307549552.png

The duration of the watchdog window is configurable from 1 ms to 1024 ms. The new watchdog window takes effect after the next watchdog refresh.

When the result is incorrect, the WD error counter is incremented by two and the watchdog window is restarted.

When the watchdog error counter reaches its maximum value, the Fail-safe reaction on RSTB and/or FS0B is configurable as follow:

diazmarin09_0-1673307538369.png

For further information about the watchdog, please review the chapter 2.4 from the datasheet.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

3 Replies
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ajnas,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

The watchdog is a windowed watchdog. The first part of the window is referred to as the CLOSED window and the second part is referred to as the OPEN window. After a good or a bad watchdog refresh, a new window period starts immediately so that the MCU stays synchronized with the windowed watchdog.

diazmarin09_1-1673307549552.png

The duration of the watchdog window is configurable from 1 ms to 1024 ms. The new watchdog window takes effect after the next watchdog refresh.

When the result is incorrect, the WD error counter is incremented by two and the watchdog window is restarted.

When the watchdog error counter reaches its maximum value, the Fail-safe reaction on RSTB and/or FS0B is configurable as follow:

diazmarin09_0-1673307538369.png

For further information about the watchdog, please review the chapter 2.4 from the datasheet.

Regards,

David

ajnas-c
Contributor I
What we need is when the error occurred, then the Watchdog need to resets all the power outputs (BUCKs and LDOs). Is there any feature available for this?
0 Kudos
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ajnas,

I am pleased to contact you again.

I am afraid that the watchdog is not capable to reset the regulators itself. Its capabilities are mentioned on the Table 49 above, in case of a watchdog failure.

Have you considered reading the value of the watchdog error counter (WD_ERR_CNT[3:0]) periodically? When you do that, you can expect a watchdog failure and the regulators to be reset by your MCU.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos