cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PTN5150 in USB C charger without I2C

d123
Contributor II

Hi!

I would like to use PTN5150 in a USB C charger design. I don't want to use I2C communication as I am trying to keep it simple. I would like to use PTN5150 to activate the VBUS output when a device is connected. I was reviewing the datasheet and it looks like CON_DET is set to HIGH if a connection is detected on CC1/CC2. Can I use the CON_DET pin to turn on a MOSFET that would connect 5V to the VBUS output? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

d123
Contributor II

Thank you so much for your help Tomas! That solves my problem!

0 Kudos

d123
Contributor II

Thank you for your help Tomas! However I am still struggling with how to make this design. This is my thinking:

If I put the N-MOSFET in line (see simplified schematic), when a connection is detected PTN5150 will set CON_DET to 5V. Then the gate-source voltage will not be enough to turn on the N-MOSFET as output should be 5V and the gate voltage is also 5V. So this won't work. Or maybe I'm wrong somewhere. Can you help me? Do you have a reference design or a sample circuit?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I would recommend using a single-channel load switch with an integrated N-channel MOSFET, charge pump and control logic. 

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/white-paper/NXP_Load_Switch_Basics.pdf 

Load Switches | NXP 

Then you can directly connect the CON_DET output to the Enable pin.

If you need to put a default state of the CON_DET output to either high or low when PTN5150 is not powered, please make sure the CON_DET pin has a very weak  (>51K) pull-up or pull-down.

Best regards,

Tomas

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, in non-I2C mode the CON_DET output is set high if a connection is detected on CC1/CC2 and this can be used to turn on an N-channel MOSFET.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards,

Tomas