cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUICCstart MPC885 Eval Board help

pteh
Contributor I

Hi,

This is my first time using PowerPC. I got in my hand QUICCstart MPC885 Evaluation Board, together with its instruction/manual and software tools.

I'm having problem getting it up and running, by following its quick start manual. The problem when I first unpacked it, is the CodeWarrior evaluation version included in. The one included is v8.6. I'm having trouble in activating/registering it as I'm being directed to download v8.8, which doesn't need activation anymore for evaluation purpose. So, I did installed CodeWarrior v8.8 (Power Architecture v8.8 build 80229).

The next problem is the 885_eval_bsp_package.exe included is EP88xC 1.1 CodeWarrior plugin installer. The plugin is for CodeWarrior v8.5. I did try to install it to CodeWarrior v8.8 directory and it successfully installed (no complain from installer).

Then I continue to proceed in using CodeWarrior, creating "new EEPC project" and selecting Linker. The only linker that has information about "PowerQUICC I/PowerPC 885/88x EP (MPC885)" board is "Metrowerks PowerPC EABI Linker" not "Freescale PowerPC EABI Linker". Everything is fine until I wanted to compile project. It gives me an error: "Link Error: undefined: '__start'".

I've compared it with using "Freescale PowerPC EABI Linker" but for "8xx/PowerPC 885/885 ADC" board and noticed there are missing "MSL_C.PPCEABI*" file and "Runtime.PPCEABI*" file. I've tried to include those files but giving me other errors.

My questions are: Is there any support for QUICCstart MPC885 Eval Board? How about step by step/tutorial? Any updated manual referring to use  CodeWarrior v8.8? Any updated EP88xC 1.1 plug-in for CodeWarrior v8.8?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

genuap
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I would ditch the CD that came with the board, and start fresh from what's on the web. You'll get the latest and greatest this way.

So, download and install the CodeWarrior 8.8. Now, what do you want to do? Just start poking registers, and building some code? You should be able to start a project for 88x in codewarrior 8.8 as is.

If you're looking for Linux support, that's a different story. For linux, you need the BSP:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC885&nodeId=0162468rH3bTdGJk194204&...

You should be able to burn the flash with the CodeWarrior 8.8.

Now, there are a couple of different versions of the Codewarrior tool - the Linux version supports either Linux kernel or applications debugging. You shouldn't need this one just to burn flash and burn in the BSP image.

0 Kudos

pteh
Contributor I
Hi genuap,

I just wanted to run HelloWorld project.

What I did, I installed CodeWarrior v8.8 and created a new project. I chosed "Freescale PowerPC EABI Linker" -> "8xx" Tab" -> "PowerPC 885" -> "885 ADS" -> "C" Language" -> "CodeWarrior USB TAP" -> Finish.

The newly created project should print "Welcome to CodeWarrior" string to UART line. Then I run it, "Project" -> "Debug" (F5). As soon as it compile, load, init and run, I got the error: "PowerPC Exception: Program Exception 0x0700".

What is the error?

The manual that I got together with Evaluation Board mentioned I should choose "88x EP (MPC 885)" board (referring to CodeWarrior v8.6). The "88x EP (MPC885)" board doesn't appear in CodeWarrior v8.8. Should there be a plugin for CodeWarrior v8.8 to support "88x EP (MPC885)" evaluation board?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

srikanthgedigam
Contributor I

hello.....

please check mpc885 reference manual.......at the exceptional handling cases......

for ur issue 0x700, what could be the  cause..........

please send me the complete what it is addressed for.......so , that i will answer u........because few were related to software and few were related to hardware.

0 Kudos

wtail
Contributor I

Ran into the same problem with the MPC8349e-mITX-GP platform. Was running CodeWarrior Development Studio for Power Architecture, Linux Application/Platform Edition Release v8.8 with Ubuntu10.10. The problem was with the "Target Initialization File" under "Edit =>  Debug Version Settings...". The file that should be pointed to is "/usr/local/Freescale/EPPC_8.8/CodeWarriorIDE/CodeWarrior/PowerPC_EABI_Support/Initialization_Files/PQ2/8349ITX_uboot_init_Linux.cfg".

0 Kudos