Programming DSP56F803BU80E over JTAG

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming DSP56F803BU80E over JTAG

kbetts
Contributor III

How can I program DSP56F803BU80E through the JTAG interface? I have access to LPC-Link2 and MCU-Link programmers, or I would be prepared to buy a new programmer if necessary. I have a compiled firmware image, but I need to know what combination of software and programmer to use to program it onto the processor.

0 Kudos
12 Replies

kbetts
Contributor III

I can't make our code compile, but I have discovered that you supply the source code for the bootloader (https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=56F8300BOOTLOADER), which does compile under the LoadPDFlash project. I will use JTAG to load this onto the processor, then use the bootloader to load my firmware image.

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Unfortunately, for the link:https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=56F8300BOOTLOADER

It is for MC56F83xx, for example MC56F8323, MC56F8345, MC56F8346, but is it not bootloader for MC56F803.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

kbetts
Contributor III

Is the source code available for the DSP56F803 bootloader?

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

As you know that the DSP56F803 was released in 2000 year, it is not recommended in new design.

If you have S record file based on application,you can use flash-over-jtag tools to download via JTAG interface, flash-over-jtag tools can only be run in PC with DOS OS mode. The device is Wiggler(Command Converter), one end is connected to PC 25 pins parallel port, another end is connected to 14 pins JTAG connector. But the Wiggler is not available. So you have to get a PC with 25 pins parallel port and DOS OS.

If you have source code, you can use CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3 tools to compile, download and debug, for the tools, you can use USBTAP device to download, but it does not support LPC-Link2 or MCU-Link, the LPC-Link2 or MCU-Link are newly invented devices.

This is CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3 tools website:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/codewarrior-development-tools/codewarrior-l...

This is USBTAP device website:

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/additional-mpu-mcus-architectures/digit...

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

kbetts
Contributor III

I cannot currently compile the source code. I may be able to get a DOS machine with a parallel port. Where can I get the flash over jtag tool?

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3 can generate the bootloader project, you can compile the project and download it to flash.

Pls refer to the doc:

https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/user-guide/DSP56F8XXBLUM.pdf

This is the steps to generate bootloader for DSP56F803 based on CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3 tools

1)click File->New, select Processor Expert Examples stationery

xiangjun_rong_0-1689830154605.png

then

xiangjun_rong_1-1689830230010.png

The bootloader project will be generated.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

kbetts
Contributor III

I have successfully generated the project using CodeWarrior. However, in the top left, there is some sort of selection for which of the DSP56F80x processors to use. By default, DSP56F807 is selected. When I try to change the selection to DSP56F803, the program throws an error. Trying to have the program continue just causes it to crash. Is it possible to use the DSP56F807 bootloader on the DSP56F803? If not, how can I change this without CodeWarrior crashing?

kbetts_0-1689836881105.png

kbetts_1-1689836895644.png

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The DSP56F803 is very old, it was released in 2000 year in Motorola, the CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3 is also very old, it has not upgraded for a long time, there is issue if you run it is Win10.

Pls get a PC with Win XP and install the tools CodeWarrior for DSP56800E ver8.3, pls have a try.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

kbetts
Contributor III

Running CodeWarrior in Windows XP does fix the problem. However, when I press Debug, I get the following error message. What is the CCS command converter? Do I need to do something extra to install it?

kbetts_0-1689849893515.png

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You have to use command converter(Wiggler) or USBTAP device to connect the JTAG interface with PC, and on the CW tools, assign the device to use either Wiggler or USBTAP device.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

kbetts
Contributor III

I have the "Connection" field in the "Remote Debugging" section of the project preferences set to "56800 Local USBTAP Connection". However, I now receive a new error message which says: "CCSProtocolPlugin : CCS: Connection Failed". What is the cause of this? How do I fix it?

CCS connection refused.png

Remote debugging settings.png

  

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I attach the flashoverjtag.exe here and user guide, hope it is helpful

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos