Noob: Where to start for simple sound playback?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob: Where to start for simple sound playback?

RoGuE_StreaK
Contributor I
G'day all, I'm trying to find out what the best/simplest solution is to get some basic controllable sound playback happening (eg 1second 8bit 22kHz loop); any suggestions on where to start looking, or which chip / chips to investigate?  I've tried trawling the net, but have had very little success finding info on sound playback with micros.
Are DSP chips the way to go?  Or a "standard" micro?  I have a few S12's lying around, and just got given some MC56F8014's, but I have no clue where to start.
If anyone knows of example C programs, that would be extremely handy;  If I can find a start somewhere I think I can plod along, but the trouble is finding where to start!

Or just use the micro to control a dedicated playback chip?  But again, can't find info on simple playback chips (need total cost of chip / chips to be under about $10)

Thanks
Lee
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RoGuE_StreaK
Contributor I
I've checked out the AN2250 doc previously, but it's now 6years old, and from reading other posts no-one can get the associated files to compile?
There has to have been some changes in chip technology in the past 6 years that make the process simpler / different?  I understand the theory behind the doc, but it would seem to be rather outdated and I haven't been able to find any support for it online? (ie., tutorials, or anyone successfully using it?)
0 Kudos

mculater
Contributor III
You could start with the Freescale app note AN2250 which covers that topic and gives examples:
http://www.freescale.com/files/product/doc/AN2250.pdf

Carl
0 Kudos