Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED Driver with fault detection and PWM

Jump to solution
sanas
Contributor I

Hello,

I am wondering if NXP has any LED drivers that would allow the LEDs to function with a PWM signal, as well as have fault detection to turn off all LEDs. There will be about 50-60 single color LEDs with a forward voltage of 3.0 v @ 30mA.

The board will only be receiving a PWM signal for dimming @ 14.5v and a ground.

If the driver needs a voltage supply (Vin), the PWM signal would have to be filtered to give a constant supply to the driver.

Needs to be automotive approved. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I hope all is great with you.

In this case I would like to recommend the PCA9685 series.

The PCA9685 is an I2C-bus controlled 16-channel LED controller optimized for Red/Green/Blue/Amber (RGBA) color backlighting applications. Each LED output has its own 12-bit resolution (4096 steps) fixed frequency individual PWM controller that operates at a programmable frequency from a typical of 24 Hz to 1526 Hz with a duty cycle that is adjustable from 0 % to 100 % to allow the LED to be set to a specific brightness value.

The device is able to turn OFF all PWMs by writing to the ALL_LED_OFF_H register.

LED driver portfolio has a wide range of options. Please let me know if you need additional features.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I hope all is great with you.

In this case I would like to recommend the PCA9685 series.

The PCA9685 is an I2C-bus controlled 16-channel LED controller optimized for Red/Green/Blue/Amber (RGBA) color backlighting applications. Each LED output has its own 12-bit resolution (4096 steps) fixed frequency individual PWM controller that operates at a programmable frequency from a typical of 24 Hz to 1526 Hz with a duty cycle that is adjustable from 0 % to 100 % to allow the LED to be set to a specific brightness value.

The device is able to turn OFF all PWMs by writing to the ALL_LED_OFF_H register.

LED driver portfolio has a wide range of options. Please let me know if you need additional features.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
sanas
Contributor I

thank you for the response, however the PCA9685 does not seem to be able to handle 30mA per led or is automotive approved (AEQ-101 for example). 

I will have a look the portfolio as that might have what I am looking for, thank you.

0 Kudos
GertrudeBodiford
Contributor I

Thanks for sharing this LED Driver. I need this Driver to install my system to detect PWM because I have my academic data in my system, so I need to secure custom law essays UK research project. That's why I need an expert who checks faults and detects a virus.

0 Kudos