Does UJA1169TK/F in S32k144 support active CAN FD?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does UJA1169TK/F in S32k144 support active CAN FD?

ahmed_mohammed-
Contributor I
Does UJA1169TK/F in S32k144 evaluation board fully support CAN FD in active mode ?
As I can see in datasheet for this SBC, you mentioned that it is support CAN FD passive mode so it will not transmit or interoperate received data in CAN FD, it will only not raising error flag when receiving this frame,
but you mentioned that there will be new version support CAN FD, Is this the version in s32k144 evaluation board?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ahmed_mohammed-
Contributor I

We tried the example in Flex CANFD example in your SDK, which is generated by process expert

It didn't work, after investigation we found that FDEN bit is not set.image (4).png

What might be the cause for such issue?

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which example do you use exactly?

I used mentioned c:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2.2\S32DS\software\S32SDK_S32K1xx_RTM_3.0.0\examples\S32K144\driver_examples\communication\can_pal\

... and I can see:

pastedImage_1.png

And if I run the example, FDEN is enabled after execution of init function and also later:

pastedImage_2.png

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

ahmed_mohammed-
Contributor I

Thanks again,

1- So we can say the frame length and speed is not matter for the chip, What the MCU send to the chip will be passed without checking DLC or Data rate, Right?

2- In the default setting without SPI communication established, we can send CAN FD frames to the chip with any required length Ex :- 64 byte, with any speed Ex:- 2 M/b, and it will work fine, Right?   

3- Can we disable WatchDog in others modes not only Forced Normal, Ex :- Can we disable WatchDog in Normal mode?

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1 and 2: yes. If you do not use partial networking, it works just as a level shifter. If Forced Normal Mode is used, the CAN transceiver works without configuration. In Normal Mode, you need to enable the CAN transceiver.

3. This screenshot should answer the question:

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

ahmed_mohammed-
Contributor I

Hi Lukas,

Thanks fro you answer, 

So This one in S32K144 evaluation board which is UJA1169TK/F support CAN FD, but as i can see in the data sheet the DLC is limited to 8 bytes and the data rate CDR limited to 1000 k/b, Is those for a specific frames?

if i want to configure it for another Data length DLC like 64 bytes and another data rate 2000 k/b for example how can i do this.

Another question :-

I read that we can work with SBC chip in the default setting "Normal Forced Mode" So we will not need any kind of SPI communication with the SBC, Right. If so What exactly will be the CAN specification in this case " DLC and baud rate CDR". and if we send a CAN frame with different baud rate or data length DLC what will be the reaction from the chip

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Datasheet for UJA1169 talks about configuration needed for partial networking - about wake up frames.

You need to check reference manual for S32K144 to see how to configure the FlexCAN module. Some hints:

pastedImage_1.png

If you use SDK, you can take a look at examples (I can see CAN FD is enabled here):

c:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2.2\S32DS\software\S32SDK_S32K1xx_RTM_3.0.0\examples\S32K144\demo_apps\flexcan_encrypted\

c:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2.2\S32DS\software\S32SDK_S32K1xx_RTM_3.0.0\examples\S32K144\driver_examples\communication\can_pal\

Yes, CAN transceiver is active in "Forced Normal Mode". If you do not need to configure wake up frames, you do not need to change the configuration of DLC and CDR.

There's also example for SBC intialization:

c:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2.2\S32DS\software\S32SDK_S32K1xx_RTM_3.0.0\examples\S32K144\driver_examples\communication\sbc_uja116x\

pastedImage_2.png

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ahmed,

this was already discussed here:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/511788#comment-1200094 

Hope it helps.

Regards,