cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very-very first steps

creaktive
Contributor I
Hi everyone!!!
I've got this one and this one. Now, how do I wire them together?
May I just connect the corresponding pins (power/BDM/reset)?
Sorry for my lameness :smileywink:
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies

josehida
Contributor I
Hi everybody,

I am in Creaktive's situation, but I use ETU version and Witztronics OSBDM. I have connected everything like your schematic, however, when I start HIWAVE I have a problem and it is shown a windows with the message:

ERROR WHILE LOADING DIAGNOSTICS ALGORITHM TO TARGET SYSTEM.
THE CHIP MAY BE SECURED, OR THE DERIVATE SELECTED MAY BE WRONG

This is problem is due to it is necessary to erase the whole flash before programming and I think it is locked by a loaded project which does not let me delete it. I am not sure, but I would like to know if you (Creaktive) or another one in my case have had some problems about that.

My best regards.

0 Kudos

cy
Contributor I

Josehida,

Did you solve your problem of "Error Loading Diagnostic Algorithm to target"? I understand this is an old post, but I am experiencing this problem as well. I have three boards built up in parrallel one works two suffer from loading Diagnostic Algorithm. They are not identical boards but very similiar a few farads of difference and trace correction not identical. I did think my dbm and rst lines were a bit noisy, but have since cleaned up the lines.

regards,

Cy

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi josehida,

I am not sure what your problem is, but I can clear up one thing.
You can always connect via the BDM and mass erase the device, there is no inbuilt protection against this.
The security system is like this: you either know the code and can get in and do what you like or you can connect and bulk erase and start again. It is NOT to prevent accidental erasure from a BDM adapter. The block protection is to protect against accidental erasure and programming from within the device. It offers no protection from a bulk erase initiated from a connected BDM adapter.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hello and welcome to the fora, creaktive.

Yes, this is what you would do.
Be sure to set the BDM adapter to supply 3.3V and not 5 volts.
That's it, the fun has just begun!

0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I
Thank you, peg! :smileyvery-happy:
Well, these are the pins of my interest on PAN4555 module (the rest are I/O which I won't use right now):

1 GND Ground
9 GND Ground
11 BKGND Background
13 EXTAL Crystal oscillator input
14 CLKO Programmable Clock Output (default: 32,768 kHz)
17 GND Ground
24 Vcc Modem voltage regulators' input
25  GND Ground
26 Vcc Modem voltage regulators' input
27 RESET MCU reset. Active low
31 GND Ground

I've also attached a bit from the reference circuit schematic which shows the BDM header connection.
As far as I understood, I should wire pins 13 & 14 together to use the internal clock. So far, so good :smileyhappy:
Now, can I wire the pin 25 to the :smileyminus: pole of a 3V lithium battery and the pin 26 to the :smileyplus: pole of the same battery? Should I also connect the pins 1, 9, 17 & 31 to :smileyminus: and 24 to :smileyplus:, or are they implicitly interconnected?
Pins 11 & 27 seems to match the BDM circuit; but how about BDM's Vcc & ground? May I get them from the same 3V battery?
Sorry about asking such an obvious things; I just could not found any BDM/PAN4555 interface implementation which was easy enough for me to understand it entirely :smileysad:

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-08 09:36 AM
0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I

By the way, here is another BDM interface implementation, from the Freescale MC13213 reference documents (PAN4555 is just an MC13213 which can be handled... manually :smileytongue:). Here the resistor is 47k instead of 10k. The capacitor won't make a difference if I supply the power using a battery, right?

BDM21.png

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-08 09:38 AM
0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I
Are there any step-by-step HOWTOs/tutorials for the Freescale stuff, just like for PICs? I just can't find it myself :smileysad:
0 Kudos

Witztronics
Contributor IV
What kind of tutorial are you looking for?

There is a quick start guide in the Codewarrior directory and example projects in the " Codewarrior_examples" directory.

0 Kudos

Witztronics
Contributor IV
I haven't used the Panasonic modules myself, but since they are based on a 9S08 micro, connecting the debug pins should be the same:

Pin 1 - debug
Pin 2 - GND
Pin 4 - reset
Pin 6 - VCC

Make sure you put JP1 in the correct position before connecting the WTBDMS08 debugger.  The WTBDMS08 can supply 3.3V or 5.0V to the target board if the current requirement is less than 100mA.  You can also set the target board (panasonic module) to supply the power if greater than 100mA or a voltage other than 3.3V or 5.0V.
0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I
Wow! You mean, I do not need an "external" reset switch, neither a power supply; they already are implemented by the WTBDMS08 itself?! Sounds great!
I've already got some software projects for my module; my real problem is the hardware itself; remembering my last attempts with PIC (it was 6 years ago) sends shivers down my spine... Glad to see the tech evolving so fast! :smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Well the tech evolution here is mostly the USB interface on the computer.
You get a free 5 volt supply included here. The BDM adapter just has a normal regulator on this to supply 3.3volts. There is a jumper to select whether the BDM cable is fed from the 5v straight from the USB port or from the regulator. In your case here you need 3.3volts selected. Refer to the schematic available on the Witztronics site.
0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I
LOL, I'm a bit familiar with that archaic parallel port interfaces, and all I can say is that they suck a lot :smileytongue:
Now, after connecting all the BDM pins, the only thing I need to do is to connect the clock input & output pins, right?
0 Kudos

Witztronics
Contributor IV
The WTBDMS08 does not supply a clock to the target board.

The target needs to have it's own clock source (most modules do).
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
I believe the OP is refering to pins on the PAN4555 module here.

0 Kudos

creaktive
Contributor I

LOL, one year later... Still fighting against this one :smileytongue:

Actually, I was able to wire everything up to a state on the attached diagram. Then I launch hiwave.exe, go to Component=> Set Connection => HCS08 => HCS08 Open Source BDM, and then USB ACT LED blinks on my BDM and the Command window displays the following:

NO CONNECTION
Loading Target ...

SETCOMM DRIVER NOPROTOCOL NOPERIODICAL
SETCOMM COMPORT NONE
TARGET SECURED?  NO TARGET CONNECTED?
Communication settings:
SETCOMM DRIVER PROTOCOL NOPERIODICAL
Communication settings:
SETCOMM COMPORT LPT "OSBDM #1"
GDI:   DiGdiClose(TRUE)
Communication settings:
SETCOMM DRIVER PROTOCOL NOPERIODICAL
Loading Communication DLL
 ==> C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.2\prog\gdi\OSBDM_S08.dll
GDI:   DiGdiOpen()==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiGdiVersion()==> DI_ERR_NOTSUPPORTED
GDI:   DiGdiAddCallBack(8192)==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiGdiAddCallBack(16384)==> DI_OK
GDI:   DiCommGetAcceptableSettings()==> 5
GDI:   DiCommGetAcceptableSettings()==> 0
GDI:   DiCommGetAcceptableSettings()==> 5
Communication settings:
SETCOMM COMPORT LPT "OSBDM #1"
Initializing STARTUP command file:
CMDFILE STARTUP ON "startup.cmd"
Initializing RESET command file:
CMDFILE RESET ON "reset.cmd"
Initializing PRELOAD command file:
CMDFILE PRELOAD ON "preload.cmd"
Initializing POSTLOAD command file:
CMDFILE POSTLOAD ON "postload.cmd"
GDI:   DiGdiInitIO()
GDI DLL called: DI_CB_MTWKS_EXTENSION_Callback(MTWKS_CB_DISPLAYLINE)
TARGET SECURED?  NO TARGET CONNECTED?
==> DI_ERR_FATAL
Initializing STARTUP command file:
CMDFILE STARTUP ON "startup.cmd"
Initializing RESET command file:
CMDFILE RESET ON "reset.cmd"
Initializing PRELOAD command file:
CMDFILE PRELOAD ON "preload.cmd"
Initializing POSTLOAD command file:
CMDFILE POSTLOAD ON "postload.cmd"
GDI:   DiDirectAddMenuItem()==> DI_OK
No Link To Target

OK, now what? :smileysurprised:

BDM.png

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-08 09:44 AM
0 Kudos

da
Contributor I

Hi!

Could you wire all the stuff together?

Could you finish your project with PAN4555?

I'm doing the same than u and have the same doubts like you.

Do you have your stuff about this anymore? Would you may send me your schematic and maybe a primitive code?

daniel.schiller_AT_gmail.com  (@ instead of  _AT_ :smileywink:  )

thank u very much!

yours sincerely,

daniel

Hi!

Do you have your stuff about this anymore? Would you may send me your schematic and maybe a primitive code?

thank u very much!

yours sincerely,

daniel

I've 5 of this PAN4555 chips and i only want to communicate two of them. For example pressing a button on the first and turn a led on the second chip.

Hi!

thank u very much!

yours sincerely,

daniel

I've 5 of this PAN4555 chips and i only want to communicate two of them. For example pressing a button on the first and turn a led on the second chip.

Hi!

thank u very much!

yours sincerely,

daniel

0 Kudos

Witztronics
Contributor IV

I am not familiar with this device, but it sounds like the chip is not running.

check your clocking, since the bdm does not supply a clock.

Also, that chip has more than one gnd and vcc.  Since you don't show them connected, are you connecting them?

0 Kudos