cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM on coldfire V4 with GDB

pint
Contributor I

Hi,

I have acquired a device that looks similar to USBDM/CF V3.1. I tried to use it with a MCF54415 and GDB.

While I was able to initialize the system and load a program into DRAM there are still too many problems to be usable.

Quite often during initialization there is no response from GDB. I suspect this happens when the CPU is switched from limp mode to full clock speed. But sometimes it works.

When stepping through the code sometimes the target halts/locks up and the debugger does not respond to a break.

Also I have encountered that the CPU does not halt on breakpoints or halts on positions without a breakpoint.

Some of these problems may be caused by a stale instruction cache when it is not flushed after soft breakpoints have been set/cleared. My tests clearly showed that the CPU does not execute the statement that is displayed in the disassembly. Regrettably I couldn't try to flush the cache by hand because the special registers that control the cache are not accessible with GDB.

I suppose that coldfire V4 cores are not really supported by Gdbserver as the target device selection does not show any of them but maybe there are plans to do so?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi pint,

I have no access to Coldfire devices apart from  V1, V1+ and V2 so its unlikely that the GDB version of the debugger would work successfully.

The only support would be for use with Codewarrior since it takes care of the programming and device details.

Sorry.

0 Kudos