USBDM - Version 4-Beta (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4-Beta (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

The latest version of the hardware/software & firmware for the above is available at this location.

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM/html/

History

• V4.0 (September 2010) - Significant changes in some areas - Please read carefully
  • Support for Linux and Windows7 64-bit (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
  • To support the 64-bit version of Windows it has been necessary to update to using libusb-V1 drivers. For consistency this is also done on Linux. As part of this process the VID/PID for the hardware (BDM) has been changed. This will allow the co-existence of Freescale's OSBDM-JM60 hardware while using a new driver for USBDM. Formerly both these BDMs used the same VID/PID and changes to the driver would not be possible.
  • Programming utilities for RS08, HCS08 and CFV1 are now (officially) included.
  • Support for MC56F800x (digital signal controllers) added. This is only available on USBDM_CF BDMs and the Axiom MC56F8006 Demoboard.
  • Minor bug fixes
  • The addition of DSC support has pushed the firmware size to greater than 16K on the USBDM_JMxx-CF version. This means that MC9S08JM32/60 chip must be used.
  • Changed to wxWidgets for common GUI code on Windows and Linux

Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

Linux files will be uploaded in the next few days.

Its a BETA because there have been lots of changes in how it operates so probably some undiscovered bugs.

Enjoy.

bye

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
110 Replies

robit
Contributor I

Hi there, do you know where could I buy a USBDM programmer for MCF5223X: Integrated ColdFire V2 micro?

I found here

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.6/USBDM_CF_JMxx/html/index.html 

a possible pcb, but I do not know where to buy the pcb or the assembled device ... thank you in advance,

Maurice

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Hello PGO,

i'm working on a prototype hardware for your USBDM_CF_JM60 design and wanted to ask you which targets the connector labeled "ARM20" of your schematic is used for?

Many thanks!

Robert

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear joncas,

I've been playing with programming the STM arm devices (STM32F family).  They use the older ARM connector (0.1" spacing).  The newer devices use the half-pitch version used with kinetis devices.  They are also less risky to play with than the Kinetis devices - no possibility of permanently securing them if I make a mistake.

Basically it was added just in case.  There may be no significant support for other devices.

There will be a updated (compatible)  version of the hardware with the next release.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi pgo

Report a problem on the DSC.

Attachment.

hw: CF_JM60

fw: v4.4

sw: v4.4

chip: mc56F8006

Thanks.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey,

I tested the DSC drivers last week (honest!)

Since then I stuffed up copying files between Linux and Win32.

Both the DSC firmware and drivers need to updated from the new ones on sourceforge.

Let me know how these work.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi pgo

I just replace the "usbdm-dsc-gdi-legacy.dll" the file, it can work, but the download speed and single-step and v4.2 seems like very slow.

sw: v4.4a

thanks.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey,

Both the drivers and the firmware need update.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi pgo

All things are good,thank you for you support.:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

Sesta
Contributor I

Hi,
I have built the USBDM programmer with JS16 CPU and I can't download the FW.

My sequential steps are:
- short the BL signal (pin7 of MC9S08JS16) to ground
- connect the USBDM to USB
- WIN_XP reconnects the device  and prompts "JS16"
- When trying to download the FW with "Bootloader JS Family GUI" whit AUTO command the Status Window show "The JM60 is not Connected or is Not in a Bootloader Mode."

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Alberto.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Alberto,

The sequence you followed appears correct so there isn't much to suggest.

Could you check that the device appears correctly in the Hardware Manager.  It should appear as Freescale JS family Bootloader.  If it doesn't appear it is likely there is something wrong with the hardware.  If it appears but under a different description (e.g. unknown device or even libusb device) then the driver is wrong and should be re-installed.  Note the required driver is in the Freescale GUI application directory -  C:\Program Files\Freescale\JS16 USB Driver\Automatic Bootloader USB Driver.  It can be changed using the right-click menu in the hardware manager.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

Dear pgo

USBDM there are plans to support the "cw v10.1"?

cw v10.1 has been release.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey,

A bit impatient!

I only downloaded it yesterday.  I'm looking at this at the moment .  It should be available in a few days.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

Thank you. you are great.

0 Kudos

bendjy
Contributor I

Dear PGO!

Thank You for great work!

I try using USBDM standalone programer for HCS12 to program my board with MC9S12DP512.

The hardware is USBDM JS16 with latest version of drivers and the firmware.

The "trouble" is - I don't have possibility to load .s19 file with Standalone programmer. The code is approx 330 k . The displayed error is "S-record address too large".  In this case loading and debuging code in CW ( Hiwave ) is without problem with same hardware, drivers and firmware.

bendjy

0 Kudos

bluehacker
Contributor III

hi,pgo

can I use MC9S08JS16L instead of MC9S08JS16?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Bluehacker,

I don't know what the difference is between a JS16 and a JS16L.  They both link to the same reference manual on the Freescale site so I supect they are just different grades of the same chip e.g. Temperature range, burn in process (medical perhaps?)  If this is the case then I would expect them to work identically. Another reason to think this is that there is no separate device selection for the JS16L in the Codewarrior tools.

bye

0 Kudos

wrljet
Contributor II

JS16L has USB bootloader support at 3.3V.

From the datasheet:

"The only difference between MC9S08JS16/MC9S08JS8 and
MC9S08JS16L/MC9S08JS8L is that MC9S08JS16 and MC9S08JS8
support USB bootloader function with voltage above 3.9 V while
MC9S08JS16L and MC9S08JS8L support USB bootloader function at 3.3 V.

Disable internal USB voltage regulator and apply 3.3 V to the VUSB33 pin
when using MC9S08JS16L and MC9S08JS8L for the USB bootloader
function."

Bill

0 Kudos

puke7381
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

I couldn't download the version 4.3 files.

Can you send to me in my mail box?

puke7381@21cn.com

Thank you a lot!

0 Kudos

markslFS
Contributor I

Dear All,

I wanted to share my experiences with installing the USBDM 4.3 on Codewarrior 10 (Eclipse) for Linux, on 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10.

After an initial hiccup where I couldn't run the Codewarrior install script (CW 10 on 64-bit Ubuntu), everything ran smoothly (for a while). When I had a problem whereby the CW Eclipse IDE would terminate immediately after it loaded, I solved it by removing the P&E plugins in the Eclipse Plugins directory.

Installing USBDM on Linux

This was a simple case of running:

sudo ./Install_USBDM

from the Linux installation archive.

Installing 32-bit libraries for USBDM

My next problem was that whenever I ran any of the USBDM utilities, the utility would fail with a missing dependency (starting with libwx..._richedit.so..., etc). Fortunately, a quick Google search found:

32-bit and 64-bit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit and

getlibs: Automatically solves dependencies for 32-bit programs on 64-bit

Running getlibs on the USBDM "HCS08_FlashProgrammer", for example, enabled getlibs to fetch the 32-bit wxWidgets libraries required. After this, all the utlities and libraries (except for TestUSBDM, which was built against wxWidget debug libraries, which getlibs could not resolve) load and run as advertised in the USBDM documentation.

Installing USBDM as a debug configuration in CW 10

Just follow the instructions in the USBDM documentation.

Upgrading the firmware

I currently use a USBDM of my own[1], implemented on a JB16. Since there wasn't a *.abs.s19 for the JB16 in the USBDM_Flash_Images_4_3.zip archive, I used the USBDM_JB16.s19 binary from the USBDM_JB16_V4_3(10_12_08).zip archive.

I had to use a Windows machine to run the Freescale ICP programmer to upgrade the firmware.

Testing

So far I have successfully programmed and debugged against the HCS08 QD4 and the RS08 KA8.

[1] MDa01 - USBDM

0 Kudos

idiao
Contributor I

Hi Pgo:

Jm60 V4.3 How to Support MC9S08SF4? TKS!

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi idiao, I've tried to support SF4 no problem.

0 Kudos