USBDM - Version 4.9.5 (JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.9.5 (JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.9.5

Please post any queries on this version in this thread,

Documentation available at: SourceForge

Applications available at: SourceForge

Source code is available at: GitHub

bye

Note

• Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

BDM History

V4.9.5a (July 2012) -

• Bug Fixes
    • Fixed bug in programmer where dialogue may not be consistent with internal state leading to crash.
    • Some alignment fixes to device descriptions.
    • All programmers apart from RS08 use new format flash code.
    • Updated libusb DLLs & zadig to current version.

V4.9.5 (July 2012) -

• Added Support for ELF file format (only tested with Kinetis/Coldefire+)
  • DSC programmer extended
    • Programming firmware updated.
    • Improved DSC communication routines to work correctly with a wider range of devices.
    • MC56F83xx family extended but untested and limited device entries have been created. It may be possible to add other devices.
  • Added device entries for MM912H634 etc.
  • Programmer dialogue size reduced.
  • Added support for FlexNVM partitioning in Coldfire+ and Kinetis devices
  • Added support for programming FlexNVM regions when partitioned (at least partially) as data Flash.
  • Added GDB servers for Kinetis and Coldfire devices. Tested with Codesourcery (Tutorial to follow).
  • Versioning of BDM firmware now has minor numbers
  • XML Memory descriptions extended (improved syntax, flexNVM syntax added, tighter consistency checks)
  • Bug fixes
    • Added/corrected entries for several HCS12 devices
    • Kinetis device descriptions extended

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

joemanu
Contributor I

Dear pgo, dear all,

I would like to know if JS16CWJ support programming of  Flash and EEPROM for target :

HCS12   MC9S12DG256

S12X      MC9S12XDP512

and with Coldfire V2,3,4 JS16 design, is it possible as well to program Flash and EEPROM.

MCF5235CVM150

I have read lot of threads and all the sourceforge project, a huge congratulation for all this piece of work.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joe,

the list of tested devices is somewhere on this page:

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.9/USBDM_JS16/html/page_history.html

I believe the HCS12 devices you mention are amonst these.

MCF5235CVM150 should work with Codewarrior but the stand-alone programmer does not support it.  It may be possible to add it but it depends on how similar it is to the ones already done.

bye

0 Kudos

radardoug
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying for the first time to get my BDM recognised by CodeWarrior.

The hardware is a Wytec BDM, supposed to be compatible with your software.

I downloaded your 4.9.5 msi and installed. No problems.

If I run HCS12_FlashProgrammer.exe to check if the hardware is recognised it tells me incompatible version, hardware is 4.9, software is 4.9.5. So I flash the hardware with 4.9.5, no problems.

Now I try to get Codewarrior to recognise the hardware, no joy.

The codewarrior version is 5.9.0, your site says files are for 5.1, is this a problem? Perhaps needed patches in codewarrior have not been done?

Regards,

Doug Jane.

0 Kudos

radardoug
Contributor I

Hi,

I've discovered my problem. You MUST install your MSI to the C drive. I previously installed to the E drive.

Bearing this in mind, the installer should not allow installing on other drives maybe?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Doug,

I wasn't aware of any problems related to the installation directory but I suspect that's because it's not something I tried :smileyhappy:

The software does create a registery entry so that it can find the files wherever they are installed so there must be some problem I haven't anticipated.

Where the paths to the Codewarrior software correct in the installation?

bye

0 Kudos

radardoug
Contributor I

Yes, I had installed CodeWarrior to the C drive so the paths would have been as anticipated for that.

That'll teach me for trying to be smart. I have been installing a lot of programs to the E drive so that when Windows crashes and I need to do a clean install, I don't lose all my programs, but of course most programs using the registry don't work after the Windows reload. Oh for a better way! Linux?

0 Kudos

Macias
Contributor I

Dear Pgo,

In your USBDM-CF hardware you've connector for Xilinx devices. Please tell me, how I can use this usbdm to program my Xilinx CPLD chip?

Thanks.

Regards,

Maciek

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Sorry Maciek,

I added the connector because I was interested in the XIlink devices but I haven't done anything further.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Awesome Job PGO, I'm doing some tests on secured SE8 chips, and I'm surprised, I thought that in order to enter BDM mode in a secured chip, a power toggle would be needed pulling the BKGD pin low, but I can se that my device is secured and the standalone programmer does not need to ask for a power off and power on to be able to reprogram the chip, how is it possible? !!

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear carloscuev,

The device being secured doesn't have much affect on the connection success.

The only guaranteed way of connecting to a HCS08 or CFV1 device is through the the power-on-reset sequence you mentioned but in practice this is only necessary if one or more the of the following occurs:

• The BKGD pin is disabled by the on-chip program.
  • The device is blank or contains corrupt code - this can lead to a failure and lockup during the reset PC fetch (CFV1+ especially)
  • The device has a watchdog enabled and resets which makes it dificult for the BDM to get the chip into BDM mode fast enough after connection.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

It worked! Thanks!

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Rolling back to 4.9.4b fixes the issue :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carlo,

Please see this link for a possible solution:

http://mcuoneclipse.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/fixing-the-morpho-core-exception/

It appears this error can be triggered by updating USBDM and other causes.  I'm unsure why this occurs but the above procedure seems to fix it.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Heelo PGO, I'm getting this problems when trying to debug an already existing proyect with USBDM target from previous version, I can't debug. I'm using 9.4.5b

An then, trying to make a new USBDM target:

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Thank you very much for the S08 PA, PL and PT support !

0 Kudos