USBDM - Version 4.6 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 4.6 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

USBDM has been updated to V4.6.  This version adds support for Kinetis devices but please be aware that this has had minimal testing due to lack of devices to test with :smileyhappy:.

Please post any queries on this version in this thread,

Information available at:  http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/

bye

Notes

Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs

• V4.6 (June 2011) -
    • Support for Kinetis Targets in Codewarrior V10.1 (Eclipse, USBDM/CF only)
    • Added Kinetis programmer (and CFVx but only two devices!)
    • Improvements to USB error checking (JMxx/JS16 only)
    • TCL scripting
  • V4.5 (February 2011) -
    • Support for Codesourcery Lite - Coldfire Vx
    • Support for Coldfire Flasher (CFFlasher) Coldfire V2,3,4 only
    • Support for Codewarrior Eclipse 10.1
    • Flash buffer is now dynamically sized in Flash programmers
    • Added fix for Legacy Codewarrior tools missing TBDML/OSBDM targets
  • V4.4 (January 2011) -
    • Less intrusive auto speed detection for targets without sync
    • Unlocking improved for targets using slow external clocks
    • Codewarrior V10 New Project Wizard now includes USBDM
    • Programming support for HCS12/HCS08 targets with EEPROM
    • Programming support for CFV1 target with multiple Flash (Dual Flash)
    • Use of XML based device files (needed for above two items)
    • Automatic unsecure for Legacy HCS12 targets
  • V4.3 (December 2010) -
    • Bug fixes (DSC Speed)
    • Improved Codewarrior V10 integration
    • Serial interface on JS16 versions (supported in JMxx but no example implementation)
  • V4.0 (September 2010) - Significant changes in some areas - Please read carefully
    • Support for Linux (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      Installation is still somewhat of a challenge!
    • Support for Linux and Windows7 64-bit (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      To support the 64-bit version of Windows it has been necessary to update to using libusb-V1 drivers. For consistency this is also done on Linux. As part of this process the VID/PID for the hardware (BDM) has been changed. This will allow the co-existence of Freescale's OSBDM-JM60 hardware while using a new driver for USBDM. Formerly both these BDMs used the same VID/PID and changes to the driver would not be possible.
    • Programming utilities for RS08, HCS08 and CFV1 are now (officially) included.
    • Support for MC56F800x (digital signal controllers) added. This is only available on USBDM_CF BDMs and the Axiom MC56F8006 Demoboard.
    • Minor bug fixes (installation script)
    • The addition of DSC support has pushed the firmware size to greater than 16K on the USBDM_JMxx-CF version. This means that MC9S08JM32/60 chip must be used.
    • Changed to wxWidgets for common GUI code on Windows and Linux
  • V4.6 (June 2011) -
    • Support for Kinetis Targets in Codewarrior V10.1 (Eclipse, USBDM/CF only)
    • Improvements to USB error checking (JMxx/JS16 only)
    • TCL scripting
  • V4.5 (February 2011) -
    • Support for Codesourcery Lite - Coldfire Vx
    • Support for Coldfire Flasher (CFFlasher) Coldfire V2,3,4 only
    • Support for Codewarrior Eclipse 10.1
    • Flash buffer is now dynamically sized in Flash programmers
    • Added fix for Legacy Codewarrior tools missing TBDML/OSBDM targets
  • V4.4 (January 2011) -
    • Less intrusive auto speed detection for targets without sync
    • Unlocking improved for targets using slow external clocks
    • Codewarrior V10 New Project Wizard now includes USBDM
    • Programming support for HCS12/HCS08 targets with EEPROM
    • Programming support for CFV1 target with multiple Flash (Dual Flash)
    • Use of XML based device files (needed for above two items)
    • Automatic unsecure for Legacy HCS12 targets
  • V4.3 (December 2010) -
    • Bug fixes (DSC Speed)
    • Improved Codewarrior V10 integration
    • Serial interface on JS16 versions (supported in JMxx but no example implementation)
  • V4.0 (September 2010) - Significant changes in some areas - Please read carefully
    • Support for Linux (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      Installation is still somewhat of a challenge!
    • Support for Linux and Windows7 64-bit (Eclipse version of Codewarrior only)
      To support the 64-bit version of Windows it has been necessary to update to using libusb-V1 drivers. For consistency this is also done on Linux. As part of this process the VID/PID for the hardware (BDM) has been changed. This will allow the co-existence of Freescale's OSBDM-JM60 hardware while using a new driver for USBDM. Formerly both these BDMs used the same VID/PID and changes to the driver would not be possible.
    • Programming utilities for RS08, HCS08 and CFV1 are now (officially) included.
    • Support for MC56F800x (digital signal controllers) added. This is only available on USBDM_CF BDMs and the Axiom MC56F8006 Demoboard.
    • Minor bug fixes (installation script)
    • The addition of DSC support has pushed the firmware size to greater than 16K on the USBDM_JMxx-CF version. This means that MC9S08JM32/60 chip must be used.
    • Changed to wxWidgets for common GUI code on Windows and Linux

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
112 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey,

Fixed I believe.  It worked on the test machines because thay have MINGW installed.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello pgo !

Here are the logs, please tell me if you need me to run anything else :smileyhappy: 

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear carlosuev,

That helps a lot.  The error is occurring because the filename wildcards (*.*.*) are being expanded at the command line instead of being passed to the mergeXML program.  This isn't a problem if there is only one matching wizard folder hence the simple fix of renaming all but the most recent wizard folder.  The latest is the one with the highest number e.g. com.freescale.mcu.projectwizard_1.3.50.FSL_b02061 in your case.

I did test for this sitation under XP and it worked fine, so I think it must be something OS dependent.  Could post details about which OS (incuding language) you are using?

In any case I will have to fix it but it would be better if I could reproduce the problem so that I can confirm it has been fixed.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello pgo, I found a solution !

I checked the previous log file and noted this:

"C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW MCU v10.1\eclipse\plugins\com.freescale.mcu.projectwizard_1.*.*.*"

So I thought, the folder isnt fixed, it hopes to find only one matching folder using those wildcards !

I checked if I had 2 folders that could match and bingo !

I really dont know why I have 2 matching versions, I only installed CW v10.1 months ago for a Freescale Training with the KwikStik and a hole bunch of updates needed to be able to run the samples they gave us. I'm starting to use CW v10 because soon I'll be getting a bigger machine with more ram than a 32-bit system can handle, so I will be hopping on the 64-bit bandwagon !!

I renamed one of them with an extra character so it didnt match and voila! it worked, then made the same with the other one to have the 2 versions patched and voila again!

I needed to run "c:\Program Files\Freescale\CW MCU v10.0\eclipse\cwide.exe" -clean to get the new USBDM option in the project wizard. 

If anyway you need me to run the previous precedure you told me, please tell me so, I'll be glad to help !!!

Thanks for your great support pgo !

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Carloscuev,

I'm glad you found a solution.

I would expect there to be more than one folder matching as that is one of the things that may occur if an update is applied.  The matchXML.exe program is meant to cope with that and update all matching folders.  It's failing on the first one for some reason.  It would be good to know why.

I would appreciate you trying the above process to see if we can determine what is unusual about your original situation that is causing my program to fall over :smileysad:

The test case I tried had a 'pretend' folder matching yours and another later version folder but it displayed no errors.

The other problem with needing to run codewarrior with the -clean option will be fixed in the next version of the installer.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello PGO, I tried the Tips for USBDM and didnt work.

Install log is here: http://escalalibre.com/usbdmInstall.log

Heres a screenshot of the folder, I checked path twice and I think it's correct, somehow installer could not find it

(http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3738/freescalepath.png)

Thanks !

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear carloscuev,

I'm pretty much stumped about what is going wrong.. The log file indicates the correct command is being executed with the correct parameters.  The only way I've been able to get the particular error message you have seen is by intentionally using the wrong parameter (an illegal filename).

Anyway - I've attached a zip file containing a new version of the mergeXML.exe program.  This has only very minor functional changes but now reports more fully what it is doing. I have also provided three command files that run the existing mergeXML and the new version with various options.

Please do the following:

• Install USBDM (if not already done)
  • Run each of the cmd files in order.  Do this as administrator (right-click menu).  Each will produce a log file.  Please note if the error dialog  appears for each.
  • Post the log files created by the above.

Roughly, the command files do the following

1. Run existing command as in the install script.   This should produce the same error dialogue.
  2. Run existing command but without wildcards.   As above but only for the know directory.  Just to check if it's a wildcard matching problem.  I doubt this will change anything.
  3. Run new version of mergeXML (with extra logging) with wildcards.  This will produce more debugging information which may give a clue to what is going wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos

carloscuev
Contributor V

Hello PGO, I tried to install v4.7.0g and got this problem, I'm new to CW v10.1 but have to learn because I need to develop for RS08, I'm not sure what this problem causes.

I noticed that when creating a bareboard project when selecting connection theres no USBDM option, only Open Source BDM which I later edit to make it run, does the error advertised on the screenshot causes this problem?

USBDM_Installer_v4.7.0g_Error

Thank you very much PGO, your work is awesome.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear carloscuev,

You asked:

I noticed that when creating a bareboard project when selecting connection theres no USBDM option, only Open Source BDM which I later edit to make it run, does the error advertised on the screenshot causes this problem?

Yes is does.  When installing for Codewarrior Eclipse, USBDM modifies the New Project Wizard files to add the USBDM options as shown in the help files screen grabs.  For some reason this is failing in your case.

Things to try

• Uninstall and then re-install using the attached cmd file which will result in a (large) log file which may give some clue to the problem.  Please ZIP & post.
  • Could you check that the directory indicated in the dialogue exists and is not empty.

bye

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Hi PGO and Carloscuev,

I had the same problem with USBDM not appearing as an option in CW10.1 New Project Wizard (tried it both in XP 32bit and Windows 7 64 bit).

Running "c:\Program Files\Freescale\CW MCU v10.1\eclipse\cwide.exe" -clean fixed it.

Best regards,

Robert

0 Kudos

wrljet
Contributor II

After installing on W7-64, I had a set of CodeWarrior Wizard Patches off the Start menu.

Do those need to be run by hand?  (I did that in any case for the heck of it)

Bill

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Thanks Robert.

I think this is an unrelated problem to the one Carloscuev has - You didn't get the pop-up dialogue during the install?

The installer runs a similar command but there (were) some issues to getting things to happen in the correct order.  It was running that step BEFORE modifying the XML files :smileyhappy:

The next :smileyalert: version will fix this.

bye

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Hi PGO,

you are right, I did not get that error message popup ...

I just completed a prototype of your "deluxe" version, and all varieties of targets work fine.

I tried to find a solution that would allow the usbdm to plug directly onto the target boards without ribbon cables -- if there are no excessively high components nearby, it works well (except for the 0.05 pitch Kinetis connector where I couldn't find a suitable horizontal female header, so there it sits flat above the target ...)

Many thanks for all your terrific work !

Robert

usbdm

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Joncas,

Looks good!

You obviously don't have any problems doing SMT soldering!

Is this a single or double-sided board?

bye

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

pgo wrote:

You obviously don't have any problems doing SMT soldering!

Is this a single or double-sided board?

Hi PGO,

the components are all on one side and the routing is two-sided.

For the soldering I can't lay claim to great manual diligence because the place I get the prototype pcbs from (pcb-pool.com) supplies free solder paste stencils with every board -- with a converted toaster oven the assembly becomes easy ...

best regards,

Robert 

0 Kudos

wrljet
Contributor II

Robert, nice board!

joncas wrote in part:

I just completed a prototype of your "deluxe" version, and all varieties of targets work fine.

I tried to find a solution that would allow the usbdm to plug directly onto the target boards without ribbon cables -- if 

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

Hi pgo

report a v4.7e version of the small problems.

Chip: MC9RS08KA1

Software: CW10.1

when use this:

const byte NVOPT_INIT @0x00003FFC = 0xFE;

after the download is complete, not complete FLASH encryption.

in test.s19 file

S1073FFCFEBC386E5D

work around:

use RS08_FlashProgrammer

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mickey,

When used with Codewarrior, USBDM intentionally programs the device to an unsecured state (0x3FFC=0xFF) to allow debugging.  It ignores any value in the image file.  It doesn't seem advisable to change this.

As you have discovered, to do 'production' programming it is necessary to use the stand-alone programmer.

bye

0 Kudos

bluehacker
Contributor III

Hi pgo

does the version support coldfire+ MCU?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi bluehacker,

It doesn't.  I don't have any chips to experiment with and AFAIK they are not available.  The only way I could obtain one would be to purchase a TWR-MCF51QM which would be a bit excessive :smileyhappy:.

bye

0 Kudos

joncas
Contributor II

Dear PGO,

I wanted to ask if the changes between schematic version 2 and version 3 are documented anywhere? Apart from the addition of the serial interface which is listed in the changes, I noticed the JTAG_DRVR signal was added to control the enable lines of TDI, TMS and TCLK, and the two surge protectors Z1, Z2. 

Where there other changes?

Then I wanted to ask about the need for pull-up resistors on the Kinetis targets. In the Freescale documentation it says TDI, TMS and TCLK are supposed to have pull-up resistors, but on the K40 in a 144 pin package I'm running short on pins and need to use the JTAG pins as touch sensor inputs in normal operation, which would not be possible with pull-ups. Depending on how the JTAG_DRVR is set, would the USBDM not drive those lines to the required levels without adding pull-up resistors?

Many thanks!

Robert 

0 Kudos