USBDM - Version 3 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM - Version 3 (JB16/JS16/JMxx Hardware Versions)

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

The latest version of the hardware/software & firmware for the above is available at this location.

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM/html/

V3.0 (May 2010) - Significant changes in some areas - Please read

• Support for Codewarrior V10 (Eclipse version) has been introduced. This has required the development of specific GDI Dlls for each target type i.e. RS08, HCS08, CFV1 and CFV2-4.
  • The handling of RS08 devices has been further changed and now no RS08 derivative specific code is contained in the BDM firmware or USBDM.dll. RS08 code is handled by the GDI layer for Codewarrior V10 or in the OpenSourceBDM.dll for the older version of Codewarrior. This should mean that further devices may be added with no changes to either USBDM.dll or BDM Firmware.
  • Minor bug fixes in the BDM Firmware.

Please note that these design are different from the Freescale OSBDM-JM60 design which was proceeding independently while I was doing the above designs.

Enjoy.

bye

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
64 Replies

WayneC
Contributor I
PGO has made a great contribution to this open source BDM community. Our company truly appreciates his passion for helping all of us own a  low-cost, high-quality embedded system at home. 

As one of the leading companies in providing Freescale microcontroller trainers to universities, our company shares that same passion.

To show our support to this community, we have made some open source USBDMs available to all members of this forum for $9 each. The BDM is a completely assembled and tested board. For more details, please visit www.wytec.com/PGObdm/PGObdm.html

We ultimately hope that our offer will encourage further development of Freescale MCU based applications.

Wayne Chu
Wytec / EVBplus.com
0 Kudos

simonqian
Contributor I

Sorry, I don't know about JB16/JS16.

I'll start new thread after try this support.

0 Kudos

simonqian
Contributor I

It's very interesting.

I plan to implement this firmware in my programming tool -- Versaloon, which is published under GPLv3.

Check here: http://www.simonqian.com/en/Versaloon.

And I have already implemented both BDM interface and JTAG interface. And I think many source codes could be directly copy from your project. I'll try to implement a port layer, and do the least modifications to your souce code.

0 Kudos

osorakunakamori
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

Continued thanks for the awesome work.

The Version 3 installation folder contains a Utilities folder which contains CFV1_FlashProgrammer.exe. Where is the source code for this utility? I know that you previously released a standalone HCS08_FlashProgrammer which included source code, but at the time it didn't support CFV1. I also realize that the CFV1 would share a lot of functionality with the HCS08 version, but I can't figure out how the CFV1 version was generated.  

Also, are you folding the previously separate FlashProgrammer utility projects into the main USBDM release?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Osoraku,

I'm sorry but the source code is not available at the moment.  I'm currently porting the USBDM code to Linux and there are very significant changes needed for this.  I'm also trying to rationalise the different versions to use as much common code as possible (Programmers + Drivers for Eclipse + Drivers for 'legacy' codewarrior versions).

I hope to publish a single code base in the near future.

bye

0 Kudos

rafael_freedom
Contributor I

Hi pgo,

I'm working on bdm project [1] to get USBDM/OSBDM support. I created a public repository at [2]. The USB code in this project is basically the TBCLF one. I started a refactoring of the usb layer, in order to avoid code duplication and a more clear and easier to add USBDM support. I would like to join efforts or get the same direction, to save our time. What do you think?

The BDM tools project, also has been update to libusb-1.0, that has better support for multiple OS (Windows/Linux/Mac) and it's development is more active.

Regards,

[1] http://bdm.sourceforge.net

[2] http://github.com/osfreedom/bdm-osbdm

--

Rafael Campos Las Heras

Computer Engineer

Freedom Veículos Elétricos

0 Kudos

Master_col
Contributor III

Hallo and thanks for your hard work on USBDM.

I have downloaded the sources and PCB files for JS16 version(i neeed just to program HCS08). The problem  is when i try to compile your program (JS16 source) , it prompts an error 202049  and can not compile. Is there any posibility to program the JS16 without compiling the program (just with the .s19 file , like on HC908 old UC)?? thank you for your time and excuse my poor english.

Best regards. Christian F. 

0 Kudos

Master_col
Contributor III

well i could compile and make your files ofr JS16 (didnt see the note "where are the sources") stupid error mine. 

The question is how can i program the JS16 without BDM as you said on your tutorial. I know i need to put low the BLMS pin and ?? 

Let the OBDM mode on CodeWarrior ?? and debugg?  i dont know. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards

Christian F.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Christian F.

The JS16 may be programmed through the USB - Basically for initial programming just build the hardware and plug it in (not even a need to hold BLSM low).

The programming is done by the  Freescale Bootloader-Gui utility.

See this page for summary and follow the link on that page to download the required utility:

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM_JS16/html/installationpage.html

The utility is available somewhere on this page:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=DEMO9S08JS16&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_...

Its pretty easy to use.

bye

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

It's unclear how to support CFV2-4.

Can this be done with the JS or is the JM required?

Is there a schematic for the V2-4 version using your firmware?

Thanks again for the great job!

--

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear JimDon,

See the USBDM/CF link from this page:

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM/html/

I didn't think it was worthwhile producing a Coldfire V2-4 version only.  The one above does all targets (RS08/HCS08/HCS12/CFV1-4 and shortly DSC).

The JS16 doesn't have enough I/O to do all interfaces at once but may have enough for  CFV2-4 in a similar way to TBLCF.  Looking at this was on my list (under a few other things).

bye

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Thanks!

I agree. The combined one is slick. It is better that anything on the market right now.

I am not very experienced at PCB manufacure. Has anyone made some of these PCB's?

-- Jim

0 Kudos

Witztronics
Contributor IV

Jim,

We are considering producing the combined JMxx version, but would like to understand the market for the device.

Do you see a need to keep it as low cost as possible, or nicer packaging (enclosure) at a higher cost?

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Wow, thats a tough question, because it is marketing not technical. I will assume you mean to support CFV2-4 as well,as  the JS version does not support that. (BTW shortly there will also OSBDM firmware for the "mobile" version of PPC as well, I believe - it will run on the JM).

There are three basic market segments - professional engineers, hobbyists and sudents.

I have a P&E CF BDM that costs 250.00 retail but mine came with a EVB that I had to buy to do the contract work I was doing.

I also bought a 20.00 extension cable for it from P&E because I didn't like the way it attached to the board and was afraid that over time it would cause the female 26 pin header on it to fail.

But then it was part of the cost of the project, and the total cost of the EVB with the BDM was about 300.00, so in that context it was not a big deal.

Usually if it is professional work, I go ahead and buy the "official" BDM in case I need support so they can't blame the BDM.

For students and hobbyists, cost is everything. You might think that with books at 150+ a pop it would not be a big deal, but as a father with kids in college, I bargain hunt for everything they need, as it is already very expensive. Also, as a student it may only be used for a single semester then become "closet ballast".

Of course hobbyists don't really "need" it and don't consider that down time will cost more that it is worth.

Another thing to consider that very few will need support for all those mcu's. Some of us here are very unique in that we do s12,08,cfv1 and cfv1-4. My guess would be that most shoppers are really only looking for a single solution, and would place some value on "other" mcu's, but perhaps not pay too much for it.

Well, that's how I see it. Personally, I think it would be a pretty cool item, but that's just me.

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

Hi Witztronics

I had a USBDM JS16, selling only about 21 dollars, not including shipping costs and the tag in pics. If you are interested, you can go and see what is cheap, beautiful compact. Size only L50mm x W1.5cm.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III

You HAD or HAVE one selling for 21.00.

Where can you buy it?

0 Kudos

Leob12
Contributor I

Hi pgo, I've built the JB16 20 pin version 3 and I'm not sure about all it's capabilities. Can I work with RS08 MCU's with this hardware? and how do I debug a 3,3V S08 MCU? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Leob12,

If the circuit corresponds to:

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM_JB16/html/TBDML_JB16_SOIC20%5BMinimal%5D.pdf

then the capabailities are described on this page (in the table) :

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM_JB16/html/index.html

In summary:

• Support for HCS12, HCS08 & CFV1
  • No target power supply i.e. you have to supply power to the target (3.3V to 5V) externally.  The BDM also uses this supply through the BDM connector.
  • RS08 is not supported since there is no switched 12V supply.
  •  

Should be loaded with TBDML_JB16.s19 memory image since it is a TBDML hardware (but USBDM firmware :smileyhappy:.  If this is done then only the correct options should be enabled on the USBDM dialogues.

If the above isn't clear let me know.

bye

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

hi pgo

I try to debug rs08kb12, but still with the same situation before the hcs08, can have a solution.

~MainDialogue()Failed to create main USBDM dialogue windowReason: Failed to open Settings File Failed - Failed to open Settings File_DiErrorGetMessage() => Failed to open Settings File_DiGdiClose()dll_uninitialize()

hardware: usbdm_cf_jmxxcld

software: cw10(workspace c:\freescale\testmc9rs08kb12)

0 Kudos

Mickey
Contributor III

I guess it is a setting file storage path problem, recommended setting file (USBDM_GDI.cfg) can be stored in an absolute path. to avoid problems arising from different workspace. 

But even if the change to the device c, still have the same problem.:smileysad:

0 Kudos

brauliochi_thin
Contributor I

Hi, I do the usbdm version

Complete USBDM - Supports HCS12, HCS08, RS08 & Coldfire V1

• This is a complete fully-featured design using a MC9S08JM60CLD (44 pin LQFP).
  • It has target power and various other options.
  • It REQUIRES a BDM for initial programming.
  • Later firmware updates may be done over the USB

And I wonder if it can be programmed the coldfire v2 that supported the  BDM,  as is the case for mcf5225x? Our I need to do the USBDM for coldfire v2,v3,v4??? thanks, best regards

0 Kudos