TBDML do not support DP256

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TBDML do not support DP256

nishui
Contributor I
I have made TBDML with JB16 controller. And the circuit is similar with JB8. It works fine in the 9S12DG128 / 9S12D64 / 9S12NE64 etc, but I test it in the DP256 controller, it failed. Can somebody provide me a better code?
0 Kudos
12 Replies

imajeff
Contributor III
I am confused about the legality of using TBDML.DLL or other method of interface, with a commercial product?

I'm looking at CodeWarrior. I see that it does not use that, but a proprietary DLL that is also distributed with TBDML. Is CW not using TBDML.DLL because it would not be legal to statically link with that in a commercial product?
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
If you inspect TBDML_GDI12.DLL with depends, you will see that indeed it does use TBDML.dll, which in turn uses LIBUSB0.DLL.

The GDI dll is the "application" layer that HIWAVE talks to.

From the gnu.org web site:

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. ...."

You can get the source code for TBDML.DLL, so it is not an issue.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2007-09-28 01:02 PM
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
[Sorry I thought I posted this as a new thread...]

Well thanks, I wasn't sure about whether TBDML_GDI12.DLL used TBDML.DLL or just included it, because I do not see "TBDML.DLL" anywhere in the path. Maybe I haven't competely installed it in CW? I don't have time to go test it now.

I do know a lot about GPL, and I'm not sure you do. I think the GPL is very straight forward on the requirement that if you have any work derived from or using any part of the GPL work, then your work must also be under GPL. This was described somewhere to mean also programs directly linked with a dynamic library under GPL. This would make TBDML_GDI12.DLL in violation because source is not available. Notice that LIBUSB0.DLL is LGPL, not GPL. Doesn't this indicate that TBDML.DLL should have also been released as LGPL so that a commercial product such as CW can link to it without releasing it's own source code?

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
TBDML.DLL is installed to system32 so you may have not seen it.

Well, I don't count legal issues as in my field of expertise, I will let you figure it out.

I did read:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

But as I admit to not being a legal expert, I wish you would point out where is says that

"..if you have any work derived from or using any part of the GPL work, then your work must also be under GPL.."

because I can't find that statement. This could be important.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2007-10-01 11:04 AM
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
I hope that I can be clearly understood...

1. You gave a link to the GPL V3. Although that does not help your argument any, you should notice that is not the licence under which TBDML is released. You can find the complete license agreement (V2) in the file "licence_gpl.txt" which is distributed with TBDML software.

2. I want all of you to understand that I am not attacking Freescale. In fact I am giving information to try to help Freescale to ensure legal use of the TBDML.DLL. I have suggested that it would be safe if that DLL were released as LGPL, and not GPL. Please don't hurt yourselves (JimDon and Alban) by making fools of yourselves, and then refusing the help.

3. Please look at the last paragraph (similar in both V3 and V2 with which TBDML is released). Notice this is not written "for the attorneys only". The GPL was intented for all to understand, at least understanding the English language. Also, the part I was referring to is basically section 2, specifically part b. But it's the last paragraph which clarifies whether being "derived" means linking to subroutines which are under GPL. Also, see the first paragraph of http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html

Honestly, if I did not think that Freescale and TBDML were working together cooperatively, then I promise I would not have bothered suggesting here that TBDML should be released under the LGPL. This would obviously only be possible with cooperation of TBDML author!

Further, I have absolutely no interest in taking legal action, nor causing legal action against Freescale. In fact my whole intention is to protect this and other commercial products which have increased value by using TBDML.

As for this common disclaimer that everyone says they are not a lawyer; What is their point? I am no lawyer, yet this is more clearly explained than any technical documents I have ever used.

Thank you for trying to understand.
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
For what it's worth, the source code states:

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

Also, since the source code states this, I choose the lib one.

0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
That is an interresting assumption. I think you are saying that because you are at liberty to release your copy of TBDML.DLL with a later version of the "GPL" (which was GPLV2), then you choose the "LGPL".

So you are assuming that LGPL (which version, V2 or V3?)  is a "later version" of GPL? Should I likewise create my own personal licence, maybe called "IMALICENSE V5", and call that a later version of the GPL?

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Jeff, nice to see you back.

CodeWarrior and TBDML creator worked together to produce an Open Source tool.
This tool, TBDML, was developped for people to have a cheap programmer available.

TBDML is indeed Open Source and can be interfaced directly to program from a user made software. It does not require CodeWarrior to work.
The CodeWarrior side is proprietary and CodeWarrior/DM provided the DLL for free to help developpers using the Open Source tool with their software.

Regards,
Alban.

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, the one have seems to work fine with CW 4.6 and a DP256C which has an 8Mhz osc.

I have the Witztronics TBDML.

What is the case with your DP board?
What version of the software did you put in your TBDML?

0 Kudos

nishui
Contributor I

Dear JimDon:

In my TBDML ,it can not identify the DP256 board and always error when loading program code.I use the CW4.6 also. And the I use JB16 to make the TBDML. And the code of the JB16 is downloaded from internet. Maybe there is something wrong with the code. Now I submit to you the code in the attachmenet. Can you find out the bug in my code or can you provide me your code for me to study? Thanks.

bdm_light_abs_s19.zip

main1.c

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-10-26 01:59 PM
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, I did not build this my self, however I will attach the code that this one was made with.

code1.zip
Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-10-26 01:57 PM
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
One last thought.

Did you set the speed i.e. the oscillator frequency?

With a DP chip you may have to do this.

Look on the menu TBDML HC12 in True Time and pick the Set Speed Item.
Enter the oscillator frequency.

The TBDML driver will not prompt you for this it it fails to communicate.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2007-08-18 02:43 PM
0 Kudos